Video Premiere: Penny "Pen#1"
- Words: Derek Kaneko
London-based producer Asher Levitas (who is also half of Old Apparatus and Saa) and writer/artist Michael Crowe have recently teamed up to form a new A/V project titled Penny, as well as an imprint called Overshare, with the upcoming Penny EP slated as the label's first release on March 17. As a taste of that record, the duo has given us the premiere of a new video for haunting EP cut "Pen#1."
Levitas' audio work for Penny is said to incorporate the "spectral R&B, mutant techno, sombre acid house, and technicolor industrial" sounds, with Crowe providing "caps-locked costumes" for the music. "Pen#1" aptly fits the duo's description, with its abstract deconstructions of found footage and clumps of fluorescent colors bursting against unsettled voices and sporadic synth ruptures. Penny's glitchy visual experience forges a uniquely surreal atmosphere that is smart, bold, and utterly disturbing with the track's paralyzing beat leading the rush.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player