Watch a Mini-Doc on the History of Dance Mania
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Late last year, Strut announced it would release a double-disc retrospective of pioneering Chicago house label Dance Mania. Now, with the comprehensive Hardcore Traxx compilation set to drop next week, a new mini-doc has surfaced which chronicles the history of the imprint. Built around a new set of interviews with Dance Manica label head Ray Barney and veteran Chicago producers/DJs Parris Mitchell, Duane Buford, and Wax Master, the 15-minute clip follows the creation of the label out of a brick-and-mortar record store (pictured above) and its role in establishing the "ghetto-house" sound. The full documentary can be watched below before the Hardcore Traxx retrospective sees its official release on February 11.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player