Watch RBMA's New Documentary Featuring Brian Eno, Flying Lotus, Giorgio Moroder, Richie Hawtin, and More
- Words: Melkorka Licea
After announcing the film's debut in January, Red Bull Music Academy's illuminating documentary What Difference Does it Make? A Film About Making Music is now available to stream and download for free. Directed by Ralf Schmerberg, the piece features interviews from notable artists and legendary icons such as Brian Eno, Philip Glass, Giorgio Moroder, Lee "Scratch" Perry, James Murphy, Flying Lotus, Richie Hawtin (pictured above), Todd Edwards, Erykah Badu, and Thundercat, among others, and seeks to explore the overarching concept of what it means to be a musician in this day and age, as well as to showcase the academy's 2013 edition in New York.
Created in celebration of RBMA's 15th anniversary (and perhaps as a teaser of what to expect from 2014's upcoming sessions in Tokyo), the film also sheds some light on the artists' trials and tribulations and how they look for the inspiration and motivation to create, as well as ideas like the rise of visual-based DJ performances. You can watch the compelling and inspiring documentary below, and learn more about the feature here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player