Jorge Velez to Retire Professor Genius Alias, Preps LP for L.I.E.S.
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Jersey City producer Jorge Velez has been tinkering in his studio since the '90s, but it's only in recent years that his musical exploits—especially the ones under his Professor Genius moniker—have received much attention. (That said, his given name did get some shine when Rush Hour issued the MMT Tape Series compilation in 2012, which collected some of Velez's lo-fi techno home recordings from the mid-to-late '90s.) Next month, Velez will begin a series of 2014 releases with a new LP for L.I.E.S. The much-discussed NYC label was previously home to Hassan, Velez's 2012 LP as Professor Genius, but he'll now be returning to the imprint under his own name. The new LP is called Territories, and it's said to "weave menacing drones to EBM-influenced floor tracks to Sakamoto-esque melodic experiments into a distinct atmosphere suitable for home listening or adventurous club play." The record is due to arrive on April 15, but its artwork, tracklist, and a stream of closing cut "Venas" have been made available and can all be found below.
While a new LP is generally enough for most artists, Velez is planning to follow it up with several more releases in the months ahead. As FACT reports, Velez will be saying goodbye to the Professor Genius name for "the foreseeable future" following a new EP, Cara, for the Borneo label and a contribution to Throne of Blood's forthcoming Moon Rock compilation. He'll also be dropping Ausland, a two-track 12" for Rush Hour, Aventuras, a four-track EP for Crème Organization, and Intramuros, a 12" for Skudge. Further details on those records have yet to be revealed, but one thing is certain—we'll be hearing a lot from Velez in 2014.
01. Blood And Bone
03. Festival Mounds
04. Ley Lines
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player