The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Moderat, Four Tet, Hudson Mohawke, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The latest XLR8R podcast came from "The Godfather of House Music," Frankie Knuckles (pictured above), who delved into his archives and unearthed a classic mix recorded at New York's Sound Factory in 1990.
2. This week's episode of Electronic Beats' Slices video series featured a conversation between German trio Moderat and UK producer Jon Hopkins, and included footage from their recent performances in Berlin.
3. Canadian producer Teen Daze gave away a free EP (with three of his dreamy synth concoctions) to coincide with his current European tour.
4. Four Tet recently performed at Boiler Room's enormous SXSW warehouse party, and the video of his set surfaced online this week.
5. A new DJ Koze remix 12" was released this week, and streams of its two reworks—one each from Robag Wruhme and Roman Flügel—were posted online.
6. Maverick Detroit producer Moodymann unveiled a new video for "Sloppy Cosmic," a remix of Funkadelic's "Cosmic Slop" that closed out his recent EP.
7. Hudson Mohawke will hitting the road pretty heavily in the months ahead, and he shared the complete list of his upcoming tour dates, which includes stops across Europe and North America.
8. Jamie xx will soon be releasing a new 12", a two-track effort for Young Turks. The record drops in May, but a stream of one song was posted online.
9. London producer DJ Q was at the helm of the latest Hi-Five, in which he selected his favorite UK garage bootlegs.
10. Todd Terje's debut full-length won't be released until April, but another one of its efforts was shared online this week. "Johnny and Mary" is a poignant slow jam (and a Robert Palmer cover) that finds Terje collaborating with Bryan Ferry.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player