The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
- Photo: Liam Ricketts
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Fresh off the release of his new LP, Untold (pictured above) shared five essential modular synth components from his new live set-up.
2. South African-born, Berlin-based artist Portable put together a rich, full-bodied mix of house and techno for this week's XLR8R podcast.
3. Another DJ Koze remix 12" will soon be released, this one with reworks from Robag Wruhme and Roman Flugel.
4. Tensnake will be releasing his debut LP, Glow, next week, but a stream of the full album surfaced online this week.
5. Experimental Brooklyn producer Fatima Al Qadiri unveiled all of the details surrounding her forthcoming debut album for Hyperdub.
6. Veteran producer and noted studio wizard Matthew Herbert put together a half-hour radio segment for the BBC in which he explored the art and science of the loop.
7. Awake, the much-anticipated new album from Tycho, is due to arrive on March 18, but a full stream of the LP appeared online this week.
8. Knowing that he had grown up in Washington, DC, we asked LA producer P. Morris to dig into his past and select his favorite go-go tunes for our latest Hi-Five feature.
9. London artist and Swamp81 affiliate Mickey Pearce dropped a free beat tape.
10. Night Slugs standout Jam City issued Earthly II, the latest installment of his own mix series.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player