Watch Classic Footage of Jeff Mills DJing in Detroit
- Words: James Eaton
Vintage footage of a young Jeff Mills DJing at Cheeks Club in Detroit recently surfaced online, showing the techno innovator whizzing through a scratch routine for a packed crowd of dancers. Performing as The Wizard (and with shades on, no less), Mills helms a set centered around Egyptian Lover's "What is a DJ if He Can't Scratch," which is shot and edited as if it appeared on a local access TV channel. The video's description says it was filmed in 1983, though the 12" the Motor City DJ is scratching with wasn't released until 1984, so we'll just assume this gem was unearthed from somewhere in the mid-'80s. The nostalgic piece can be seen in full below. (via Resident Advisor)
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player