Check Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Words: Derek Kaneko
Following their documentary on the rise and fall of UK garage, Dazed and Channel 4 have released a new entry into their Music Nation series. Titled Berkshire Goes Balearic, the video tracks the historic spread of the Balearic sound throughout the UK. Over the course of the 20-plus-minute film, the doc emphasizes the influences that Boy's Own publication and various UK Balearic clubs had on the expansion of the culture to locations such as Cardiff, Belfast, Manchester, and Berkshire. Furthermore, interviews with former Berkshire ravers reveal personal experiences with the shifting movement, and the change in DJ culture as a whole from an underground scene to a more commercial one.
Dazed's latest Music Nation documentary can be watched in its entirety below.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player