Jimmy Edgar Gives Away New Edit of Frankie Knuckles
As a tribute to the legacy of Frankie Knuckles, whose untimely passing has touched just about every corner of the dance music community, Detroit native Jimmy Edgar has refixed the Godfather of House's classic "Baby Wants to Ride" track, offering the results as a free download.
"What else can I say about Frankie that hasn’t been said this week," Edgar asks on his SoundCloud. "With this track, we celebrate his life, his kindness, his love for music, his inspiration, his passion, and all that he gave during his life. Thank you, Frankie." The heartfelt message comes accompanied by a characteristically sharp rework à la Edgar, who keeps Knuckle's tune as low-swung and grinding as ever. The new remix can be streamed and downloaded for free below, and Edgar's substantial note on Knuckles' legacy and the relationship between the Detroit and Chicago dance music scenes can be read in full here.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player