The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Aphex Twin, Jamie xx, Todd Terje, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Aphex Twin (pictured above) unexpectedly found himself in the news this week when a test pressing of an unreleased album from 1994 (under his Caustic Window moniker) was posted for sale online. In the days that followed, an officially sanctioned Kickstarter was set up where those interested in acquiring a digital copy of the LP could donate online.
2. Canadian producer Venetian Snares announced the impending release of a new LP for Planet Mu, along with plans for a North American tour.
3. Jamie xx released an elegant new video for "Sleep Sound," a song slated to appear on his forthcoming new 12".
4. Just Jam continues to grow in popularity as a web portal for top-flight DJ sets, and this week, recent sessions from Daphni, Four Tet, and Pearson Sound were posted online.
5. Brandy & Coke, a documentary tracing the rise and fall of UK garage's golden era, was made available to view online.
6. The latest XLR8R podcast was delivered by New Jersey house maestro Joey Anderson, whose debut LP was released this week.
7. Ableton released a new mini-documentary that captures Pantha du Prince and the Bell Laboratory assembling and later performing the ensemble's stunning live show.
8. Without question, the most celebrated new LP of the week was Todd Terje's It's Album Time, and our official review named the record an XLR8R Pick.
9. This week's most popular tune from our Downloads section came from mysterious UK producer TÂCHES, whose house-inclined "Malindi" is colored by a dark undercurrent and a gallery of glassy synths.
10. Berlin's Perera Elsewhere will soon be issuing a deluxe version of her Everlast LP for Friends of Friends; ahead of its release, the label elected to give away one of the album's exclusive cuts, a Prefuse 73 remix of "Drunk Man," in our Downloads section.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player