The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Frankie Knuckles, Tycho, Todd Terje, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Unfortunately, this week's top item was a sad piece of news. On Monday, house legend Frankie Knuckles (pictured above) unexpectedly passed away. In the aftermath, many fans have taken solace in last week's XLR8R podcast, a recently unearthed recording of a Knuckles set at the Sound Factory in 1990.
2. Next week, French producer Rone will be releasing a new EP, Apache. Ahead of that, a stream of the entire record premiered exclusively on XLR8R.
3. The latest edition of Artist Tips found laid-back synth maestro Tycho describing—in detail—how he creates quality tones without the use of an amp.
4. John Talabot and Jamie xx teamed up for a lengthy B2B session on this week's Beats in Space program, and a stream of the show was posted online.
5. FACT's Against the Clock series has proven popular with both aspiring and established producers, and the most recent episode documents UK producer Tom Demac churning out a tune in 10 minutes.
6. Todd Terje's debut LP, It's Album Time, will soon see the light of day, but a full stream of the record was offered online this week.
7. Berlin-based producer Noah Pred put together a Drum Rack of sounds from his Elektron Machinedrum, and offered it up as a free download.
8. Brainfeeder affiliate Teebs was the subject of our latest 20 Questions feature, which found him talking about Street Fighter, Dracula, and Flying Lotus.
9. Barcelona duo Downliners Sekt will issue its debut LP, Silent Ascent, on Monday, but the pair premiered a stream of the record exclusively on XLR8R this week.
10. Buraka Som Sistema's Branko has a new EP dropping next week, and he gave away one of its tracks, "Broken," in our Downloads section.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- ReviewAphex Twin Syro
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
XLR8R Downloads Player