The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with KiNK, Ikonika, Jamie xx, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. We kicked off the week with Bulgarian producer KiNK (pictured above), who detailed five of the essential pieces from his elaborate studio set-up.
2. FACT's Against the Clock video series has always proven to be quite popular, and the latest episode, which features Hyperdub affiliate Ikonika, was also a hit with our readers.
3. A new entry in the Music Nation video series surfaced this week, a documentary called Berkshire Goes Balearic that chronicles the spread of Balearic culture in the UK.
4. Bristol beatmaker Addison Groove gave fans a unique look into his production methods this week by starring in a new video tour of his home studio.
5. The Red Bull Music Academy took a serious look back at late-'70s/early-'80s NYC clubbing this week when it published an extensive feature on the legendary Larry Levan. Additionally, RBMA compiled an extensive playlist of the greatest Paradise Garage tracks.
6. With the release of his new LP for Ghostly rapidly approaching, Tobacco debuted an "extremely NSFW" video for album opener "Streaker."
7. Minimal stalwart Ricardo Villalobos is known for his lengthy production excursions, and that reputation stayed intact this week when he let XLR8R premiere a stream of an 18-minute-long remix he did (with frequent studio partner Max Loderbauer) of Wolfgang Haffner's "Melodia del Viento."
8. A new Jamie xx 12" will be dropping early next month, and this week, the London producer shared a playful animated video for lead cut "Girl."
9. The latest XLR8R podcast was put together by Canadian-born, Berlin-based producer and New Kanada label head Adam Marshall.
10. Berlin's Ostgut Ton label surprised everyone with the news that its forthcoming Panorama Bar and Berghain mixes would no longer be released on CD, and would instead be offered as free downloads.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player