The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Robert Hood, Tycho, Jacques Greene, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Techno pioneer Robert Hood (pictured above) was the subject of our latest 20 Questions feature. In the course of answering our queries, he touched upon the early days of Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and cheese grits.
2. UK producer and Ninja Tune affiliate Bonobo was responsible for the latest installment of Radio 1's Essential Mix. His two-hour session is streaming online.
3. Xosar delivered a new mix of esoteric audio and subterranean grooves for French magazine Trax.
4. This week's XLR8R podcast presented an off-kilter, genre-hopping mix assembled by The Range.
5. Fresh off the release of his new LP, Bay Area producer Tycho applied his talent for gauzy melodies and hazy sonics to a new mix for FADER.
6. Montreal-reared, New York-based artist Jacques Greene also contributed to this week's onslaught of mixes by delivering a podcast for Little White Earbuds.
7. Mysterious UK producer patten released another free batch of tunes as the latest installment of his ongoing Re-Edits series.
8. Dan Snaith (a.k.a. Caribou) announced that he would soon be releasing a new 12" featuring a pair of collaborations between his Daphni project and Canadian producer/composer Owen Pallett.
9. UK producer Four Tet kept up his prolific streak by unveiling plans for a trio of new 12"s on his Text label, including a pair of releases from his Percussions side project. The news was accompanied by a stream of one of the new Percussions tracks, and he followed it up the next day by sharing a second tune.
10. The most popular track in our Downloads section this week was "The Destruction of Words," a punishing piece of brooding dancefloor fare from UK duo Habits of Hate. The pair will soon be releasing its debut EP via the Electronic Explorations label.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player