Watch the Wild New Video for "Tsekeleke," Nozinja's First Shangaan Electro Outing for Warp
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Back in 2010, the Honest Jon's-issued Shangaan Electro compilation touched off a bloom of interest in the niche South African genre, introducing listeners to a genre marked by sparse construction, lightning-quick percussion, and its own unique rhythmic sensibilities. In the midst of all this attention, a light was shined on Nozinja, a producer who has largely been credited with creating the genre. Earlier this month, it was announced that Nozinja had been signed to Warp Records, and today, his first effort for the seminal label has surfaced. "Tsekeleke" will reportedly appear on a 12" that is slated to appear later in 2014, but for now, the song has been realized in the form of a music video, which can be viewed below. The vibrant clip was filmed in Johannesburg, was directed by Chris Saunders, and highlights both the bright color palette and the rapid-fire dance moves that have become staples of the shangaan electro world. Nozinja himself is featured heavily in the video, and although he's not doing much dancing, his flamboyant outfit and willingness to mug for the camera more than do their part to keep things jubilant.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
XLR8R Downloads Player