Download a Black Metal Rework from The Soft Pink Truth
- Words: Kat Leinhart
- Photo: M.C. Schmidt
After a decade's hiatus, Drew Daniel (best known as one half of experimental electronic duo Matmos), has resurrected his solo moniker The Soft Pink Truth in a new album for Thrill Jockey. Why Do The Heathen Rage? is a collection of black metal tracks recalibrated for the dancefloor, and ahead of its release, the bonus Burzum cover ''Rundgang (Fuck Varg’s Racist, Anti-Semitic Bullshit Politics Forever!)'' is available to stream and download for free.
The 25-minute rework first premiered via Pitchfork, and according to the accompanying interview, functions in part as a critique of convicted murderer and racist Varg Vikernes (a.k.a. Burzum). "I felt like if you're going to do black metal covers and your point is a queer critique of the shitty ideological disaster area that is black metal, then it would be cowardly to not address the Burzum question," Daniel said. "Just as blasphemy both affirms and assaults the sacred powers it invokes and inverts, so too this record celebrates black metal and offers queer critique, mockery, and profanation of its ideological morass in equal measure."
Why Do The Heathen Rage? is out in full on June 16.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player