Download a Black Metal Rework from The Soft Pink Truth
- Words: Kat Leinhart
- Photo: M.C. Schmidt
After a decade's hiatus, Drew Daniel (best known as one half of experimental electronic duo Matmos), has resurrected his solo moniker The Soft Pink Truth in a new album for Thrill Jockey. Why Do The Heathen Rage? is a collection of black metal tracks recalibrated for the dancefloor, and ahead of its release, the bonus Burzum cover ''Rundgang (Fuck Varg’s Racist, Anti-Semitic Bullshit Politics Forever!)'' is available to stream and download for free.
The 25-minute rework first premiered via Pitchfork, and according to the accompanying interview, functions in part as a critique of convicted murderer and racist Varg Vikernes (a.k.a. Burzum). "I felt like if you're going to do black metal covers and your point is a queer critique of the shitty ideological disaster area that is black metal, then it would be cowardly to not address the Burzum question," Daniel said. "Just as blasphemy both affirms and assaults the sacred powers it invokes and inverts, so too this record celebrates black metal and offers queer critique, mockery, and profanation of its ideological morass in equal measure."
Why Do The Heathen Rage? is out in full on June 16.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player