The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Ben Klock, Burial, Karenn, and More
- Photo: Randolph Quan
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The latest edition of our 20 Questions series features Berlin techno veteran Ben Klock (pictured above), and finds him talking about his hometown, marathon DJ sets, and his passions apart from the electronic music world.
2. Earlier this week, a short film appeared that was inspired by and scored with the title track from Burial's Rival Dealer.
3. Grime fans should make sure to watch a new documentary detailing the tensions between London police and the city's grime scene.
4. This week's XLR8R podcast was a special mix assembled by JTC (a.k.a. James T. Cotton) to coincide with Montreal's EM15 festival.
5. The top tune in our Downloads section this week came from Spanish producer Henry Saiz, whose "White Rhythmic Mirror" is a dark and and ghostly production with a faintly Balearic undercurrent.
6. UK duo Karenn shed a lot of light on its live set-up in an extensive interview with Resident Advisor.
7. French producer Neue Grafik offered up "Blanche," a spectral piece of melodic house, in our Downloads section.
8. "I Need You," a UK-flavored tune from Austrian producer Milo Mills that will also appear on the forthcoming Feelings in Colour compilation, was given away in our Downloads section.
9. XLR8R exclusively premiered a new remix from Detroit legend Theo Parrish, who has reworked vintage Brazilian cut "Keep Believing (Can You Feel It)" from The Far Out Monster Disco Orchestra for a new compilation.
10. German techno stalwart Marcel Dettmann released a short film soundtracked by his recent "Seduction" single.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
XLR8R Downloads Player