The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Bicep, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Jimmy Edgar, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The Music Nation documentary series from Dazed and Channel 4 has proven to be enormously popular with our readers, and the latest episode—which chronicles the rise of jungle—is possibly the most viewed chapter yet.
2. UK duo Bicep (pictured above) detailed the five most essential pieces of gear from its rapidly expanding studio set-up.
3. Dauwd was the latest producer to take on FACT's Against the Clock challenge; as always, the resulting video documents him attempting to make a track in 10 minutes.
4. This week's XLR8R podcast came from Seattle producer Kid Smpl, who assembled a varied session of abstract hip-hop, R&B, and leftfield bass explorations.
5. Red Bull Music Academy's beat:repeat video series has been exploring the history behind a number of NYC anthems, and one of this week's new episodes looked at Mtume's seminal "Juicy Fruit."
6. Last weekend, Jimmy Edgar was at the helm of BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix, and audio of the show is currently streaming online.
7. A new video interview with German producer Motor City Drum Ensemble surfaced on the web this week.
8. XLR8R premiered the video for "Spatial Scale," a new track from Amsterdam producer Akka that also features Portland beatmaker Eprom.
9. The most popular tune in our Downloads section this week was "I Fell in Love," a lush and emotive track from Swedish duo Gidge.
10. London producer Bobby Tank also contributed a song to our Downloads section, offering up the funk-laced "Learn from You" as a free giveaway.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player