The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DJ Rashad, Mister Saturday Night, Jon Hopkins, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The music world was shocked over the weekend by the unexpected passing of DJ Rashad (pictured above). On Monday, Hyperdub released an official statement honoring the life of the Chicago footwork pioneer.
2. This week's XLR8R podcast came from NYC duo Mister Saturday Night.
3. Veteran producers Martyn and Four Tet have a collaborative track, "Glassbeadgames," on the former's forthcoming new LP, but ahead of its release, they elected to share a stream of an alternate version of the song via SoundCloud.
4. Red Bull Music Academy launched a humorous new web portal, Eternal Bliss™. The tongue-in-cheek site features new sounds from James Pants, Nightwave, Anenon, Suzanne Kraft, Lucrecia Dalt, and others, and is billed as "the world's first guided meditation that puts you in charge."
5. In the aftermath of DJ Rashad's death, Bok Bok and P.O.L. Style used the Night Slugs show on Rinse FM as a forum for an impromptu tribute to the fallen artist.
6. The most popular tune in our Downloads section this week was put together by Submerse, whose remix of Hidden Orchestra's "Spoken" utilizes upbeat claps and introduces a mellow, bouncing bass to the original's fluid and undulating rhythms.
7. UK producer Jon Hopkins shared a new version of Immunity LP cut "We Disappear" and announced an upcoming North American tour.
8. Fatima's debut LP will soon arrive via Ego Records, and this week, she posted a stream of album cut "Do Better," a song produced by label co-founder Floating Points.
9. Another popular free download came from the Donky Pitch camp, which offered up the Tokyo Hands remix of VesperTown's "Royal Flash." The buoyantly jaunting rework will appear on VesperTown's upcoming EP.
10. Techno legend Robert Hood announced the impending release of a new M-Plant 12" with two re-worked Floorplan tracks.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player