The Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, DJ Koze, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. LA producer and Brainfeeder bossman Flying Lotus (pictured above) surprisingly debuted a new video for "Phantasm," a cut from his 2012 LP Until the Quiet Comes.
2. UK duo Simian Mobile Disco opened the door to its gear-strewn studio for an interview with Resident Advisor.
3. FaltyDL remixed "The Mechanism," a new collaborative track from Disclosure and Friend Within. A stream of his rework was shared online.
4. This week's XLR8R podcast was delivered by DIVA, better known as Matt Didemus of Canadian synth-pop duo Junior Boys.
5. The most popular tune in our Downloads section this week was "Deatheat," a tranquilizing blend of scattered percussion, mellow vocal murmurs, and dream-like pads from Australian producer Guerre.
6. Red Bull Music Academy launched a new video series, beat:repeat, and the first episode tells the story behind a classic Larry Levan production.
7. New remixes of Moderat from DJ Koze and Robag Wruhme are scheduled to drop later this month, and previews of both reworks surfaced this week.
8. Our Downloads section offered up a free remix from Legowelt, who transformed youAND:THEMACHINES' "Domain Specific" into a hard-hitting piece of melodic techno.
9. Earl Jeffers, better known as Chesus from Welsh outfit C.R.S.T., gave away a free edit of Alicia Myers' disco classic "I Want to Thank You" in our Downloads section.
10. Detroit veteran Theo Parrish has a new LP on the way, and though he hasn't yet released many details about it, he did share a new video for album cut "Footwork."
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- FeatureXLR8R's Best of 2014: Readers Poll
- FeatureXLR8R's Best of 2014: Releases (15 - 1)
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Midland, Nina Kraviz, our Best of 2014, and More
- NewsWatch Mala Dig in John Peel's Record Collection
- MP3Rihanna "What's My Name? (Federation Remix feat. Vybz Kartel)"
XLR8R Downloads Player