Night Slugs Launches Club Constructions Community, Streams New Track from Bok Bok
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
London's Night Slugs camp has been busy today, as it not only announced a major expansion of its Club Constructions series, but also elected to share a stream of a new tune from label co-founder Bok Bok.
First launched in 2012, Night Slugs' Club Constructions series has focused on raw, stripped-down productions that are squarely focused on the dancefloor. To date, six editions have released, including offerings from L-Vis 1990, Jam City, Lil Silva, and Helix. (The series was also responsible for Baltimore club anthem "Bring in the Catz," which we named as one of the Best Tracks of 2012.) To this point, the series has been, in the label's own words, "something of a closed circle," but now, the Night Slugs braintrust has elected to open things up with Club Constructions Community.
Making it clear that this is "not a contest or a PR stunt," Night Slugs claims that "club music is our foundation" and that the imprint simply wants to "start a structured dialog, encourage and support new talent, connect with like-minded producers, and cultivate a platform for this emerging sound." To assist interested producers in the effort, the label has posted the Club Constructions "manifesto," a series of aesthetic guidelines that is "not be taken as dogma." Rather, "it's more a set of directions towards a certain feel and a framework for curating ideas." After digesting this information and making some potential contributions—artists are advised to take their time—producers can submit tunes via the Club Constructions Community website.
In other Night Slugs happenings, Bok Bok has followed the recent announcement of his forthcoming new EP, Your Charizmatic Self, by unveiling a stream of another one of its tracks. He shared EP cut "Howard" last week, and now, "Da Foxtrot" can be heard over at FADER. Your Charizmatic Self will be released on May 26 via Night Slugs.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player