Phon.o Shares Video for New Track from Upcoming 50 Weapons EP
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Berlin producer Phon.o will return to the Modeselektor helmed 50 Weapons imprint next week with Cracking Space Pt. 2, the second EP in a series dedicated to digging through the "deeper end of dance music." Pulled from the three-track effort is "Whi5tleblower," a dense, booming cut which has received a fittingly dark video treatment.
While its title is in part a reference to famed NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, Phon.o's production here is a finely detailed effort, one which brings together brooding atmospheres and deep, swelling chords atop a continuous series of rugged rhythmic structures. The track's accompanying video focuses on a series of morphing geometric shapes, the complex angles and configurations of which move along with the music, as do the darkened shades of grey and green which stretch across the three-dimensional surfaces. Created by visual artist and designer Christian Korndörfer, the full video for "Whi5tleblower" can be watched below before Cracking Space Pt. 2 sees an official release on June 6.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player