Hear a Sprawling Track from M. Geddes Gengras' Upcoming LP for Leaving
- Words: Kat Leinhart
M. Geddes Gengras' Ishi LP, forthcoming on Matthewdavid's Leaving imprint, negotiates the liminal space between given and peripheral worlds. Gengras has spent the past seven years embedded in the L.A. experimental scene, yielding a collaboration with Sun Araw and roots reggae group The Congos among other projects, but when working on his own, his solo productions test the expressive perimeters of analog electronics. On LP cut ''Passage,'' modular synth lines unspool and writhe around one another as layered washes of ambient tones rise and fall.
Ishi (named for “the last wild Indian” in North America who was introduced to the modern world in 1911) is said to "find the producer diving headlong into beautiful, sprawling ambient explorations and deep, mystical drone," and will see its official release on June 24. In the meantime, Gengras' 11-minute "Passage" composition can be streamed in full below.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player