RBMA Profiles Afrika Bambaataa's "Looking for the Perfect Beat" in New 'beat:repeat' Episode
- Words: James Eaton
The latest episode of Red Bull Music Academy's ongoing beat:repeat series follows the production of Afrika Bambaataa and the Soulsonic Force's 808 anthem, "Looking for the Perfect Beat." In the course of the five-minute video, the track's original producers, Arthur Baker and John Robie (who were also behind Bambaataa's seminal "Planet Rock" tune), discuss the production methods that yielded the song. Together the pair show some of the specific 808 drum-machine patterns which appear in the track, and the way in which they used the mixing board and outboard studio boxes to create evolving layers of sound; a production method perhaps well-utilized now, but which was still beginning to be explored at the time of the song's creation.
The newest episode of RBMA's beat:repeat series can be watched in full below.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsHear Dntel's Upcoming LP for Leaving/Stones Throw
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player