Watch a New Episode from RBMA's 'beat:repeat' Video Series
- Words: James Eaton
After debuting last week with the first episode of its beat:repeat series, Red Bull Music Academy has unveiled a new drum machine-obsessed mini-doc which takes a few minutes to look back at the formative rhythm behind Mtume's early-'80s classic "Juicy Fruit."
Perhaps known better by The Notorious B.I.G.'s version of the track, a seminal hip-hop classic simply titled "Juicy," RBMA's five-minute film covers the creation of the distinctive Linn Drum rhythm which helped Mtume's original version become a number-one hit. The video also catches up with veteran producer DJ Evil Dee (of Black Moon and Da Beatminerz) for a few minutes later to discuss the SP-1200's role in the evolution of hip-hop production while he chops up "Juicy Fruit" on the heralded sampler. The full new episode of RBMA's ongoing beat:repeat series can be watched below.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player