Stream Philipp Gorbachev's Debut LP for Cómeme
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Now residing in Berlin due to a self-imposed exile from his birth country of Russia, Philipp Gorbachev has consistently shown a refusal to restrict his productions to any particular genre or style. This ever-evolving approach to crafting dance music has made Gorbachev an excellent fit for Matias Aguayo's Cómeme imprint, the label the Russian producer has been involved with since 2011 and who will issue his debut full-length, Silver Album, next week.
With its nine contributions each existing somewhere between house, techno, disco, and even punk, Gorbachev's debut LP is an ambitiously eclectic affair. The album is said to consist of nine "live-performed arrangements," which were recorded in part at The District Union (a studio/collaborative space shared by a number of Cómeme artists) and incorporates the talents of Paul Leary (of alt-rock weirdos Butthole Surfers), Battles drummer John Stanier, Cómeme labelmate Daniel Maloso, and Ostgut Ton affiliate Tobias Freund. With Russian lyrics enthusiastically delivered across each hand-crafted album cut, Gorbachev's debut full-length is a truly unique endeavor, one with an unexpected interpretation of dance music around most every corner.
Set to see an official release on June 2 via Cómeme, Philipp Gorbachev's Silver Album can be streamed in full below exclusively via XLR8R.
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- NewsWatch a Live Performance of Jacques Greene's New Single
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Surgeon, Jackmaster, John Talabot, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player