The Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Aphex Twin, Sónar 2014, Lone, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Last weekend, XLR8R headed to Barcelona for the annual Sónar festival, and our subsequent review spelled out the best and worst of what we saw.
2. The much-discussed "lost" LP from Aphex Twin (pictured above), which he recorded under his Caustic Window alias, found its way online this week and is available to stream in full.
3. Following several years spent dabbling in more experimental sounds, Matthew Herbert announced plans for an upcoming EP of house music under his Herbert moniker, the first such release in eight years.
4. With his new LP set to drop next week, Luke Abbott popped up on FACT TV's popular Against the Clock series, which chronicled his efforts to build a track in just 10 minutes.
5. We hosted an exclusive stream of Reality Addendum, the latest LP from Madrid-based producer Henry Saiz.
6. The latest XLR8R podcast is an eclectic session from long-running Toronto duo Jokers of the Scene.
8. Doc Daneeka went through his archives for our Hi-Five series, and shared a few of his favorite piano-led tunes with our readers.
9. UK producer Jon Hopkins will soon be issuing "We Disappear" as a standalone single, complete with a new vocal version of the song. That new version has also received a full video treatment, which premiered this week.
10. Coinciding with the release of his third album, The Air Between Words, Martyn gave us an in-depth, track-by-track breakdown of the new LP.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player