The Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Venetian Snares, Jamie xx, Floating Points, and More
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. We kicked off the week with elusive Canadian producer Venetian Snares (pictured above), who took on our 20 Questions series and wound up talking about cats, coffee, and the power of love.
2. Of all the tunes that appeared in our Downloads section this week, the most popular was a remix of La Roux's "Uptight Downtown" by Brooklyn disco outfit Midnight Magic.
3. Known record fiend and Eglo Records co-founder Floating Points shared a new mix consisting of nothing but vintage Brazilian music.
4. The suddenly quite active Jamie xx surprised everyone this week with the release of a new single, "All Under One Roof Raving," which can be streamed online.
5. The latest XLR8R podcast is a drum-filled house session put together by veteran Baltimore producer Karizma.
6. Leftfield pop darling Grimes gave away a new "summer jam" called "Go," a dubsteppy track that was originally written for (and was later rejected by) Rihanna.
7. London drum & bass explorer Fracture has a new EP on the way for Exit, and this week saw him sharing a stream of its lead track.
8. Ahead of the duo's upcoming debut LP, DJ Dodger Stadium (a.k.a. Samo Sound Boy and Jerome LOL) invited us over for a new edition of In the Studio.
9. Anonymous UK producer TÂCHES offered up a darkly focused dancefloor remix of Kitsune affiliate Citizens! in our Downloads section.
10. Warp announced the impending release of Green Language, the sophomore LP from Glasgow producer Rustie, and also shared a stream of album cut "Raptor."
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
XLR8R Downloads Player