Unsound Festival Unveils First Wave of Acts
- Words: Kat Leinhart
Poland's celebrated Unsound Festival has revealed the first wave of artists billed for this year's edition, which will take place under the thematic umbrella of "The Dream." "The Dream is an act of auto-criticism and self-reflection aimed to trigger discussion," explained Mat Schulz, Unsound artistic director. "It isn't meant to be negative, but inquisitive. Historically, The Dream stems from alternative and even oppositional artistic movements and social systems. Our question is, what remains of that subversive drive? In asking this, we realize we also open the position of our own festival to scrutiny, no doubt revealing contradictions."
Among the initial acts disclosed, industrial pioneers Chris Carter and Cosey Fanni Tutti of Throbbing Gristle come together with Factory Floor guitarist Nik Void as Carter Tutti Void, and boundary-testing rock group Swans makes an appearance, as does veteran Detroit producer DJ Stingray. Ren Schofield (a.k.a. Container) will appear with Norwegian drummers Kenneth Kapstad and Tomas Jahrmyr, Zamilska and Księżyc make up the national camp, and a more dancefloor-oriented bill lists Perc, Rrose, Joey Anderson, TCF, and Fade to Mind affiliate Total Freedom. Dark ambient Norwegian artist Deathprod and Australian band The Necks, performing with Austria's Radian, are also slated to appear.
This year's festival will also highlight the multi-sensory installation "Ephemera," for which sonic material crafted by Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, and Kode9–noise, drone, and bass, respectively–was interpreted by Geza Schoen as scents, with Marcel Weber and Optigram creating video and visual components.
The festival runs from October 12–19 at various venues across Krakow, and will include a daytime discourse program of talks, films, and presentations. Additional names will be added to the lineup in the forthcoming weeks and months.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player