Berghain Opens 10th Anniversary Celebrations
- Words: Kat Leinhart
In December 2014, storied Berlin club Berghain will be celebrating its 10-year anniversary. As a prelude, an exhibition of works by visual artists is planned for later this summer. Entitled "10," the exhibition stands as an homage to artists who have been closely affiliated with the club since its inception. Their projects will reportedly be designed for the exhibition space at Halle am Berghain (which is only occasionally open to the public), and will take up themes such as "club culture, the phenomenon of the mass, non-elitism, cult of the body and tattoos, neoclassism, and the ruinous rawness of the building." Among those slated to show works are Raster-Noton label co-founder Carsten Nicolai (a.k.a. Alva Noto) and Berghain gatekeeper and photographer Sven Marquardt, as well as Norbert Bisky, Ali Kepenek, Piotr Nathan, Friederike von Rauch, Sarah Schönfeld, Viron Erol Vert, and Marc Brandenburg.
"10" opens on August 7, and runs through the end of the month.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player