The Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Delroy Edwards, Roni Size, Ben UFO and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Following months of anticipation, Red Bull Music Academy finally announced the list of the 60 participants that had been chosen for this year's Academy in Tokyo.
2. This week's XLR8R podcast came from UK producer Submerse (pictured above), who assembled a mix of slightly dusty, off-kilter hip-hop beats.
3. On Sunday, a new documentary focusing on the LA beat scene is set to premiere. Entitled Looking for the Perfect Beat, the full-length film features Teebs, Jonwayne, Baths, Daedelus, Ras G, Matthewdavid, Thundercat, Gaslamp Killer, TOKiMONSTA, and others.
4. This week's most popular tune in our Downloads section was a remix by Barcelona producer Alizzz, who reworked the easygoing pop of Kid Astray's "Taking You With Me."
5. Drum & bass legend Roni Size announced that he will soon be releasing a new album, his first since 2004.
6. LA producer Delroy Edwards released the second installment of his Slowed Down Funk mixtape series. Subtitled Hate Is Beneath Me, the new mix is available for free download.
7. UK techno veteran Ben Sims shared the news that he would soon be closing his long-running Theory imprint. The final release will include remixes from Marcel Dettmann, DVS1, Luke Slater, and Surgeon.
8. In preparation for its upcoming festival in Amsterdam, the Dekmantel crew premiered another episode of its Sole Selectors video series. The latest installment focuses on London selector and Hessle Audio co-founder Ben UFO.
9. We took a closer look a Andrés (a.k.a. DJ Dez), and put together a list of 10 things everyone should know about the versatile Detroit producer.
10. London producer Eliphino put together a soulful edit of Will.i.am.'s "Lay Me Down," and the track—which is surprisingly good, given the source material—is streaming exclusively on XLR8R.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player