The Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week was the second annual Record Store Week on XLR8R, which meant that we spent the last few days profiling a few of our favorite vinyl shops from around the globe. Our first feature shined a spotlight on Berlin institution Hard Wax.
2. The top tune in our Downloads section this week was a pastoral remix of Keaton Henson's "Elevator Song" by German synthscape master Ulrich Schnauss.
3. LA beat kingpin Flying Lotus (pictured above) announced the impending release of a new album, along with an extensive North American tour.
4. Russian producer and Hyperboloid label head Pixelord put together an exclusive, bass-oriented mix for the latest edition of the XLR8R podcast series.
5. SBTRKT will be releasing a new album this fall, and he shared all of the details this week.
6. Our Record Store Week series also profiled Glasgow's long-running Rubadub shop.
7. Speaking of Glasgow, Hudson Mohawke announced that he has a new EP on the way via Warp this September.
8. After playing at London's Lovebox Festival last weekend, Ghostly affiliate Fort Romeau shared a recording of the mix, which he described as a "laid-back session for a sunny afternoon."
9. Manchester's annual Warehouse Project party series unveiled the complete line-up for its 2014 season.
10. Ahead of his forthcoming new EP, Irish producer Reid shared one of its glowing cuts, "Singapore," as a free download.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- NewsWatch a Live Performance of Jacques Greene's New Single
XLR8R Downloads Player