The Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Matthewdavid, John Talabot, Moderat, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site. (However, given the Independence Day holiday this Friday in the US, we're running this week's Lowdown one day early.)
1. Coinciding with the release of his new full-length, Matthewdavid (pictured above) revealed a few of his production secrets in the latest edition of our Artist Tips series.
2. German supergroup Moderat remixed Jon Hopkins' "Abandon Window," and a stream of the rework surfaced online.
3. Talaboman, the much-anticipated collaborative project of John Talabot and Axel Boman, will issue its debut single next month.
4. This week's XLR8R podcast is an eclectic mix from Brooklyn's Willie Burns.
5. Parisian DJ/producer Canblaster was enlisted to remix "Turn Me Up," the new single from Gina Turner, and the rework was given away as a free download on our site.
6. Our Downloads section also played host to a remix of Femme En Fourrure's "Palms Glide Up Thighs" by rising Night Slugs affiliate Neana.
7. Another popular free download came courtesy of Lockah, who remixed "Pure El Nino Vibes" from the forthcoming Slugabed EP.
8. A previously unreleased remix from the late "Godfather of House," Frankie Knuckles, debuted this week.
9. The calendar flipped to July this week, and we marked the occasion by compiling a list of XLR8R's most popular downloads from the month of June.
10. On the gear front, Roland introduced the SH-101 Plug-Out, a soft synth modeled after the company's legendary SH-101 synthesizer.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- NewsApplescal Readies 'Mirage' EP for Atomnation, Shares New Track
- NewsGroundislava Details Upcoming LP for Friends of Friends
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player