Stream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
- Words: Glenn Jackson
The first edition of the Gem Drops compilation appeared in 2011, an extension of the Portland-based Dropping Gems crew, who tapped an impressive network of beat savvy friends and cohorts to contribute to the digital compilation. Three years on, the North West collective is set to drop the fourth edition of its annual comp, next week offering exclusive new tracks from The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, Marley Carroll, Devonwho, and others.
Though beats are at the core of Gem Drops Four, they come in quite a diverse array across the record's 21 tracks. Seattle's DJAO and LA producer Anenon start the affair off in more reflective territory, Devonwho offers some off-kilter G-funk, Marley Carroll focuses on lattice-like melodies, and The Range and Pixelord deliver works from the more glowing ends of the beat spectrum; the rest of the collection's contributions fall just about everywhere in between.
Available in both cassette and digital form beginning July 29, the entire Gem Drops Four compilation is streaming below exclusively via XLR8R.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player