Stream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- Words: Glenn Jackson
After rising to the surface a few years back with a unique brand of melodically rich 2-step, UK producer Submerse has evolved his craft in recent years, folding new sounds into his productions while leaning towards a denser sonic palette. Now, the London artist's debut LP, Slow Waves, is set to arrive next week via Project: Mooncircle, but before then, the record can be streamed in full exclusively on XLR8R.
On Slow Waves, the recent XLR8R podcast contributor is said to channel "a collection of multi-layered memories" into the LP's 12 cuts. The resulting productions take shape as hazy, hip-hop indebted hybrids, melding fragments of the West Coast beat scene—dusty textures, off-kilter percussion, woozy samples—with Submerse's established knack for melodic subtlety and songcraft. An aptly titled effort, the record aims to gradually immerse its listeners in its slow-brewing productions, as Slow Waves patiently unrolls one cloudy beat after another, making for an immensely absorbing 30 minutes.
Officially out via Project: Mooncircle on July 28, Submerse's debut full-length, Slow Waves, is streaming in full below.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player