The Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The latest XLR8R podcast was an exclusive mix of hard, pulsing techno from UK talent Randomer (pictured above).
2. Last weekend, a pair of compelling new mixes surfaced from both Joy Orbison—who was at the helm of the BBC's Essential Mix—and Objekt.
3. Brooklyn producer FaltyDL stepped up for our 20 Questions series and talked about his new LP, acid trips in the wilderness, and shooting guns from motorcycles.
4. Ahead of this weekend's Dekmantel Festival, we profiled the Amsterdam crew responsible for its unique vision.
5. Running Back bossman Gerd Janson appeared in our Downloads section this week, offering up a free remix of "Won't You See" by Melbourne duo GL.
6. The seminal Kompakt imprint announced that its forthcoming 303rd release would be an acid-flavored tribute to the Roland 303 by label co-founder Wolfgang Voigt.
7. UK producer Leon Vynehall shared a mesmerizing new video for his recent "Butterflies" single for Clone.
8. Ghetto house legend DJ Slugo was the subject of our latest Trainwreck piece, in which he shared a wild story about a hotel room brawl following a missed gig in Louisville.
9. A large chunk of the Ghostly roster has been tapped for the soundtrack of an inventive new videogame called Hohokum.
10. Next week, Shenoda will be issuing a new EP via George FitzGerald's ManMakeMusic imprint, but XLR8R was able to exclusively offer a stream of the record ahead of its official release date.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player