Red Bull Music Academy Reveals 2014 Event Program in Tokyo
- Words: Kat Leinhart
Not long after Red Bull Music Academy unveiled the complete list of participants selected for this year's Academy in Tokyo, the schedule for 2014's accompanying event program has also surfaced, which "reflects a deep reverence for the trailblazers of Japanese culture past, present, and future" and lists performances from innovative Japanese artists alongside a spate of international DJs and producers. Among those featured throughout the season, which launches in mid-October and runs for a month, are renowned sound artist Ryoji Ikeda, who will present a large-scale sculptural light installation, EYヨ (a.k.a. Yamatsuka Eye) of the seminal noise/rock group Boredoms, who will lead a largely improvised live show, and pioneer of the Japanese avant-garde and experimental scenes Otomo Yoshihide (pictured above), who is also scheduled to stage a lecture alongside multimedia artist Daito Manabe. Kerri Chandler, Untold, Ben UFO, and Addison Groove are also set to make appearances, as are Academy participants such as Xosar, Zebra Katz, and XLR8R contributor Palms Trax.
The comprehensive event guide is on view here, and tickets for individual events go on sale on August 23.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player