Watch "Ashiko," a New Video from Clap! Clap!
- Words: Kat Leinhart
Ahead of the release of his debut album, Tayi Babba, Italian producer Clap! Clap! has shared a striking new video for LP cut "Ashiko." The full album is constructed as an ethnography of an imagined island, and utilizes field recordings and samples from across the African continent in addition to precise drum programming and the influences of footwork and hip hop. According to director M.K. Ceesay, the new video for "Ashiko" interprets the characters found throughout the album's accompanying artwork, and was inspired by "the mating rituals of certain animals, where the males battle and dance in trying to impress the female." The video shows male dancers in day-glo, patterned body paint challenging one another for the attention of the central female character, Ashiko.
The full Tayi Babba LP is due out via Bristol-based imprint Black Acre on September 8, and in the meantime, the video premiere of "Ashiko" can be watched in full below. Clap! Clap! also recently announced plans to release a new 12" to mark the label's 50th release, "Buck" b/w "Ichnusa," which is due out this month.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player