When the Handsome Furs make a video of live footage interspersed with stills of Cholas, you know you're in XLR8R video country. Still, one might consider the more exciting video to be Aesop Rock's newest escapade, "None Shall Pass," which features animated artwork from San Francisco-based artist Jeremy Fish. For the gloomy at heart, there's Caribou's "Melody Day," and what better way to cap off the week than with some femme-techno from Neubauten contributor Gudrun Gut, on "Move Me."
Read more »
Aesop Rock takes a giant leap forward with jazz-flavored hip-hop on his latest full-length, None Shall Pass. Likewise, Waajeed and partner Tiombe Lockhart up the ante with some serious soul on The War (which includes production work from the late J Dilla), and Wiley might be proclaiming that Playtime is Over, but he's making quite an exit if that's the case. Meanwhile, Detroit and Chicago have a head-to-head collision on Windimoto's new track, and the one-man band Blue States adds another solid track to the instrumental rock catalog.
Read more »
Xavier de Rosnay and Gaspard Augé (a.k.a. Justice) will have their hands and suitcases full for the next few months, hopping from continent to continent, crossing hemispheres, and igniting crowds with their distorted electro chops that have inspired an entire wave of music over the last couple years. And gone are the days of watching the short one do all the DJing while the tall one stands by idly smoking cigarettes and flipping through CD booklets. Read more »
Despite its slightly humiliating name, Way Out Ware's KikAxxe virtual vintage analog synthesizer is one of the few software instruments that measures up to the original. This 16-step sequencer is a direct emulation of the ARP Axxe, a lightweight, monophonic beast that rivaled the MiniMoog back in the day. In addition to replicating the '70s crunch of its analog peer, the Kik Axxe–which just so happens to be PC and Mac compatible–also features a drum machine that can be assigned to a separate MIDI channel (which can make for some serious live potential).
Read more »
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player