Six foot, six inch-tall reggae toaster Eek-A-Mouse, famous for songs like “Wa Do Dem” and “Ganja Smuggling,” has been booted from the performance lineup for the July 6 Reggae Carifest concert in New York after making racially insensitive remarks at the Carifest C.A.R.E.S. press conference this week. Read more »
While the oft-discussed debut album from Yo Majesty will arrive in no time (October 7, to be exact), Tampa, Florida's sauciest trio of ladies have a little something to tide fans over until that day. As aggressive, honest, and playful as any of their other releases, the Kryptonite Pussy EP will lyrically explore lesbianism, Christianity, as well as take a few jabs at some of the less praiseworthy aspects of hip-hop culture (ie: misogyny) and see music production from the likes of Basement Jaxx, Radio Clit, CLP, and others. Read more »
Not every band can write a song that's a single, elongated guitar chord and then be hailed by the press as creators of gorgeous, conceptual indie-rock. Growing–the Brooklyn-based duo of Kevin Doria and Joe Denardo–have somehow managed to achieve this, and since joining The Social Registry's roster a little less than a year ago, the duo has continued its fascination with that gray area between free-form noise and instrumental rock.
Read more »
Following a brief series of dates back in March, the crew behind Argentina's Zikzek Urban Beats Club will return to North America for a lengthier tour showcasing hip-hop, reggaeton, grime, and, of course, cumbia, the Colombian groove that has risen to popularity in recent years.
Read more »
Most people read books or watch TV before going to sleep. Atlanta-based musician and erstwhile frontman of Deerhunter and Atlas Sound Bradford Cox likes to write new material. In fact, we've been getting so much music from Mr. Cox via his Deerhunter blog lately, using the term prolific to describe him as an artist is beginning to lose all meaning (not that we can think of a better word right now).
Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player