XLR8R insiders at this year’s controversial Reggae Rising concert (replacing the 20-year institution Reggae On The River) in Northern California received a robust attendance and many stellar performances. Reggae vet Freddy McGreggor was warmly welcomed with his pitch-perfect rendition of “Big Ship,” and other hits, while Sly & Robbie played sans headliner Horace Andy (who had missed getting his visa cleared).Read more »
Most editions of London club Fabric’s compilation series are comprised of standout tracks from various DJs record crates, but Ricardo Villalobos–who has the honor of compiling number 36 for the series–has taken a different approach. Using his own tracks exclusively, the techno authority is offering a Fabric mix that actually acts as an album presented in a DJ mix format.Read more »
Though he's something of a mysterious character in the music world, one can assess from Lorn's MySpace page that he's a producer who takes to the dark, tortured side of music. "My Drum Machine" echos that idea, with heavy-handed synth melodies, pounding drums, and vocals manipulated to sound like some netherworld creature is singing down the mic.Read more »
Diehard fans will recall that it's been less than a year since the Klaxons were forced to cancel a tour due to US visa issues. Now, it seems the States can't get enough of the technicolor trio, and Jamie Reynolds, James Righton, and Simon Taylor are headed back to the tour bus this fall. Hopefully no fractured ankles will be involved with this slew of performances, and try not to hold the one-off date with Bjork against them.
Radio Slave’s Rekids imprint just stoked out Traktor and Serato users with Rekids One, a CD compilation of the label’s twelves and exclusive remixes. Featuring tracks from Toby Tobias, Discemi, Luke Soloman, and Rekid, plus reinterpretations from Quiet Village, Prins Thomas, and Jesse Rose, this collection is midnight mass in two discs.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player