Ukraine's three-week-long Kazantip festival, which refers to itself as a nation and its attendees as citizens, will feature more than 100 DJs on several stages this August, including Ricardo Villalobos, Carl Cox, M.A.N.D.Y. (pictured above), Marco Carola, and Loco Dice. With artists from Get Physical, Poker Flat, and Cocoon making appearances during several showcases, the world's longest rave is bound to leave some party-goers recovering for all of September. Read more »
Producer and mix-master of precious, simple melody and rhythm, New York's Arp (a.k.a. Alexis Georgopoulos) just offered a mix of the kinds of bands, artists, and songs he includes under the umbrella of "minimal" (or what most people might call "minimalism"). Read more »
Appleblim has been using Joe's "Untitled" as a secret weapon in sets for months now, so it's no surprise that his Apple Pips label is set to release the track along with "Digest," a more experimental B-side, this July. Merging a minimal sensibility with jungle funk and hints of grime, the Hessle-associated producer's tracks are pleasing in both the contexts of the bedroom and the dancefloor, as they straddle the line between head music and body music perfectly.
Read more »
Hyperdub headmaster and DJ/producer extraordinaire Kode9 took over a small corner of the internet today with some free downloadable goodies. He put together an exclusive mix for FACT, which comes a couple weeks before his contribution to !K7's DJ-KiCKS series, and about 10 days before his Off-Sonar party with Ikonika, Darkstar, Cooly G, and more at Club Mondo in Barcelona. Read more »
Thicket is a new app for the iPhone/iPad by Anticipate artists Joshue Ott and Morgan Packard. Combining their individual styles in interactive visuals and sound, respectively, they have increasingly been channeling their performance, production, and programming expertise into a shared workspace that supports each direction.
The app is an audiovisual world of texture, movement, line, and tone. Spending time with Thicket, the user creates sonic and visual patterns within a space of warm, bright tones and evolving, elegant scrawls. Working with gesture to affect audio and visual responses, Thicket brings a playful, tactile intuitiveness to a world that might otherwise require a higher learning curve. Equally amenable to casual playing, intense exploration, or performance (the iPad version supports VGA output), Thicket is open-ended enough to allow discovery within its defined landscape. Check out some videos of the app in action after the jump! Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player