Common Place by Mark Rubenstein
"Common Place is a series I began working on almost three years ago. The project is a three-part series that unfolds to tell the story of one's own personal evolution: the coming of sentience (the quality or state of consciousness). These images are about the idea of an evolution of one’s self. As one grows older, many changes come about, whether they be physically or mentally. Through the process of self-introspection and the development of sentience this concept is truly visualized."
Brooklyn-based photographer Mark Rubenstein was born in Louisville, KY in 1984. He received his BFA in photography at the Savannah College of Art and Design. Rubenstein’s continuous use of otherworldly surrealism allows him to constantly evolve his complex ideas into images that captivate the viewer. His work can be seen in Grafia, Exklusiv, Pulp, and Look Look.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player