Podcast 64: Melodies in Distortion

A Dreamweapon Production
Dreamweapon is the nonsensical alias being used by Damon Way, an individual, for the purposes of presenting various sound odysseys aimed at lost decades and mixed generations of dreamy drones.

Melodies in Distortion covers the pedal-attacking pioneers of the early shoegaze movement, paired with the contemporary Wah armed gangs of the newgaze formation, then sidelined by a mind melt of the space-rock and drone-driven pedal pushers. Enjoy this leap through the decades.

Melodies in Distortion
01 Mogwai - "Super Heroes of BMX" - 4 Statin EP (Chemikal Underground) - 1997
02 Spectrum - "Undo the Taboo" - Highs, Lows, Heavenly Blows (Silvertone) - 1994
03 Slowdive - "Slowdive" - Blue Day (Creation) - 1992
04 Swervedriver - "Girl on a Motorbike" - Mezcal Head (A&M) - 1993
05 South Pacific - "Blue Lotus" Constance (Symbiotic) - 2000
06 Monster Movie - "Sleeping on a Train" - Last Night Something Happened (Clairecords) - 2001
07 My Bloody Valentine - "Don’t Ask Why" - Glider EP (Creation) - 1990
08 Psychic Ills- "Another Day, Another Night" - Dins (The Social Registry) - 2008
09 Pale Saints - "Throwing Back the Apple" - In Ribbons (4AD) - 1992
10 Film School - "Compare" - Hideout (Beggars Banquet) - 2007
11 Daysleepers - "Release the Kraken" - Drowned in a Sea of Sound (Clairecords) - 2008
12 Pia Fraus - "400 & 57" - In Solarium (Clairecords) - 2002
13 Blind Mr. Jones - "Henna and Swayed" - Stereo Musicale (Cherry Red) - 1992

Subscribe to this podcast: iTunes or mp3 format. For help, click here.

8 comments Melodies in Distortion

Signor Muerte (not verified) Wrote

Sun, 11/30/2008 - 00:10

Great!!!

Larry's dad (not verified) Wrote

Mon, 12/01/2008 - 09:55

Seriously chilled out, loved it.

substantula.com (not verified) Wrote

Mon, 12/08/2008 - 15:45

Nice mix. If you dig this stuff, check out Kitchens Of Distinction, Moose, 14 Iced Bears, Drop Nineteens, Chapterhouse, and, of course, Lush. Calgon, take me away!

Steve Nalepa (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 12/10/2008 - 13:01

Hell yeah. So excellent!

vonbi (not verified) Wrote

Sat, 12/20/2008 - 08:25

yap, i agree, amazing podcast indeed. it was very nice to see pia fraus in the tracklist.
i have also similar mixtapes, check em out: http://vonbi.cmyk.ee/me.html

Anonymous Wrote

Wed, 01/07/2009 - 08:30

first track is "Superheroes of BMX" by Mogwai, not Stereodee

Damon (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 01/07/2009 - 14:53

You are correct... Upon seeing this I quickly realized that the issue stemmed from the way iTunes imported the tracks into my computer... mixing the A and B sides, which then got me use to looking at them this way... and then coupled with me not looking at my vinyl copy of this EP in years... the joys of digital. Thanks for catching this!!!

Damon (not verified) Wrote