Podcast 95: Awesome Tapes from Africa
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
While studying hip-hop in Ghana in 2004-2005, Brian Shimkovitz quickly realized that most people outside of Africa have little to no idea of what life there is actually like, even when it comes to music. Although a small handful of African artists gain exposure outside the continent, much of the music that everyday people listen to at home, work, parties, and in the club remains a mystery. Using a hefty stock of cassette tapes acquired during his studies, in 2006 Shimkovitz launched Awesome Tapes from Africa, a blog devoted to sharing these hard-to-find musical gems with audiences outside of Africa. Here at XLR8R we've long been fans of the blog, so we tapped Shimkovitz to put together an exclusive mix for our weekly podcast series, and rather than try to neatly summarize things ourselves, we've decided to let Brian describe the mix in his own words.
Considering the musical diversity on the continent, this mix just scratches the surface in terms of beat-driven [music], more on the pop/dance side of things. I chose to highlight songs that really stand out to me, songs with incessant rhythms that translate in a variety of contexts, all of which can help make you move. While there are entire spectra of vintage African funk, disco, and Afrobeat to explore elsewhere, this mix culls some of my all-time favorite jams as it moves from electro-juju (King Sunny Ade) to disco highlife (J.A. Adofo) to Senegalese rap (Bill Diakhou) to Kenyan guitar breakdowns (Charles A. Chepkwony) to Zimbabwean dance numbers (John Chibadura) and beyond.
01 King Sunny Ade - "Ase" - (Island)
02 J.A. Adofo - "Medo Wiase" - (Agya Paye)
03 Souley Kante - "Diamanadia" - (Jaamnaty)
04 Bill Diakhou - "Gorgui" - (Gadiaga)
05 Yacouba Kante - "Djandjo"
06 Bainito Muyanda - "Gari Mademo Shina"
07 Charles A. Chepkwony - "Magtalena" - (Chandarana)
08 John Chibaudra and the Tempo Brothers - "Ambuya Vangu"
09 J.A. Adofo - "Aba No Saa" - (Agya Paye)
10 Kante Manfila - "Coh Coco" - (Disques Esperance)
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player