Podcast 149: The Glitch Mob

Long before the LA beat scene threatened to take over the pages of XLR8R, The Glitch Mob was turning heads with its party-starting and hip-hop-informed take on bass music. Now, on the heels of their debut album, Drink the Sea, Ooah, Boreta, and edIT have moved beyond the confines of their Southern California stomping grounds and taken their low-end rumblings to the masses. Fresh off a massive US tour, the boys put together an exclusive mix for the XLR8R podcast, right before they hit the road again for another lengthy run of dates. Much like the group's live set, the podcast weaves through a number of different styles and artists, all unified by one dominant trait—the presence of an infectious beat.

01 Harold Faltermeyer "Top Gun Anthem (Edit)"
02 Health "Die Slow (Tobacco Remix)" (Lovepump United)
03 Bear In Heaven "Deafening Love (Deru Remix)" (Hometapes)
04 Free The Robots "Turkish Voodoo" (Alpha Pup)
05 Jamie Lidell "Completely Exposed" (Warp)
06 The Very Best "Julia" (Green Owl)
07 Ratatat "Bilar" (XL)
08 Aesop Rock "Big Bang" (Mush)
09 Yeasayer "The Children" (Secretly Canadian)
10 Lorn "Cherry Moon" (Brainfeeder)
11 Janelle Monae "Neon Gumbo" (Bad Boy)
12 Autechre "known(1)" (Warp)
13 Matty G "My 808" (Dub Police)
14 The Dead Weather "Blue Blood Blues" (Third Man)
15 Bibio "Dwrcan (Eskmo Remix)" (Warp)
16 EPROM "Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"
17 School of Seven Bells "iamundernodisguise" (Ghostly)
18 Alex B "Talk it Out" (Elm and Oak)
19 Yacht "So Post All 'Em (Ooah edit)" (Marriage)
20 Warpaint "Billie Holliday" (Manimal Vinyl)

23 comments The Glitch Mob

Anonymous (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 07/01/2010 - 11:06

hacks

hyphyhippie (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 07/01/2010 - 13:06

well I love the glitch mob,but I hate to say that I was not very impressed with drink the sea,I mean it is good just not what I was expecting from the boys...But this mix is f-ing hot and fans of this genra will agree...Another good slumping mix boys and keep em coming

Anonymous (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 07/01/2010 - 13:47

nice1

Anonymous (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 07/01/2010 - 16:58

anything they put their hands on turns to gold!

jbomb (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 07/01/2010 - 20:12

I liked their old stuff better than their new stuff... their last XLR8R podcast was huge.

Anonymous (not verified) Wrote

Fri, 07/02/2010 - 08:42

good mix

deebphonophanatic (not verified) Wrote

Fri, 07/02/2010 - 10:29

i love the glitchmob (or the music from the individual members), but i was also a little bit disappointed in this mix and their new album as well.

I mean, Bubbling in the Cut, thats the stuff we want.

Nikklass (not verified) Wrote

Sat, 07/03/2010 - 05:59

Little disapionted by the drink the sea album... Not whqt i expected... But i Still support you guys.

DEEPBASS (not verified) Wrote

Sun, 07/04/2010 - 01:46

NEEDS MELO-X- LET IT REMIX

Anonymous (not verified) Wrote

Sun, 07/04/2010 - 10:07

I personally LOVED the new cd and i think while some were disappointed, most are loving it right now

treewhisperer (not verified) Wrote

Sun, 07/04/2010 - 12:58

A few of the tracks in this are a little weird and there are a couple transitions that could have been smoother. Nice variety though. deebphonophanatic knows what's up though, what happened to the face melters???

Josh (not verified) Wrote

Mon, 07/05/2010 - 02:41

Nice mix, shame about drink the sea

Jessica Lawrence (not verified) Wrote

Mon, 07/05/2010 - 15:13

My old DJ friend from Santa Cruz sent me a ton of electro jams. I got a hold of Between two point and fell in love!!! I seriously play that song everyday, actually like everytime I open Itunes;) I love the slow beat and the samples and sounds in the background are so faint and soft but they mix so sweetly.. I love the way her voice is altered in different undertones throughout the song...Very awesome guys......JL

Anonymous (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 07/06/2010 - 11:40

I think the mix is really sloppy - shitty transitions, no direction or journey. The keys clash drasitcally in some cases!!! Honestly, I think if it wasn't the Glitch Mob doing this mix, people would think this is a beginning DJ mix. I think my mixes are better quite frankly. I am a bit tired of uber hot performers making shitty mixes and because they are amazing we think they are being artistic. The music is also WAY experimental.

Anonymous (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 07/06/2010 - 13:29

the problem is when your such a great group like the glitch mob, when the sound you created starts to get old because its not constantly evolving, you cant just make an abrupt direction turn, unless its as wonderfully ground breaking as the original one that got people into you. and even then you risk turning off those people that still liked what you were doing. my suggestion, split up and all do your own things guys. or take it back to the drawing board, find your selves and stop trying to please the crowds. look at that press picture for god sakes. we love you guys, but time for some soul searching?

Anonymous (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 07/06/2010 - 20:53

I really really wanted to like Drink the Sea. Alhtough, I did read that the album was made to be listened to in headphones or in the car and I never use either so maybe that is why it didn't sound right.

Andrew (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 07/08/2010 - 22:50

I know theglitchmob gets a lot of love, but I've also been hearing some haters. One person in particular said "I don't know what they are trying to prove with their new album." Personally, I think the glitch mob brought something pretty original to the table in response to two huge pressures .. 1 being: fans demanding new music (glitch mob kinda rode the crushmode songs for a while. this worked because new folks were getting introduced to electronic music itself the wholetime an there were just cherrys to be popped lol, but for those who wanted a new live show ... dotdotdot?) and 2 being: the pressure on making electronic music a live event (glitchmob has done pretty good about bringing some kinetic energy to the stage with the drink the sea tour, and even previously with the lemur pads facing crowd). The only reason i think they are catching some flac is because it is different in style to crush mode and the earlier remixes .. turn that shit up and appreciate the production, ambient twist, and the way those vocals melt into the chords! don't worry i'm sure we'll get some whomp and grime some of yall are looking for from these dudes in the future .. my 3 cents xoxo

Rui de Castro (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 07/08/2010 - 23:59

Great stuff. Dejdia @CamRaFace posted your link. Thanks, it made for a smoother morning while tweeting!
Rui

Philly (not verified) Wrote

Sun, 07/11/2010 - 05:49

Dunno what to expect from the new LP but these boys definitely smash it in whatever vain they go down. Sweet mix, really shows their versatility.

Julia Collier (not verified) Wrote

Sat, 07/17/2010 - 16:38

THIS IS SO GOOD!
my favorite by far.
Of course, the Very Best mix is my favorite, but aesop rock and dead weather are close seconds. I loved seeing Glitch Mob live and I can't wait to have another podcast!

informed (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 07/20/2010 - 05:22

@ whoever wrote this:

I think the mix is really sloppy - shitty transitions, no direction or journey.

What a load of claptrap! Some of the rythmic transitions were incredibly clever and subtle, as for the acousting blending i thought it was something else! Apart from the deadweather shite this is a great mix

Charlos (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 07/21/2010 - 22:57

Random split-chunky mess of a mix, some good tracks though. I hadn't heard the Warpaint song before, it was driving me crazy trying to figure out the sample they used, which I figured out was from Depth Affects - Honey Folky (Melodium Remix) course that may have been sampled as well. Good tracks.

Anonymous (not verified) Wrote

Fri, 08/13/2010 - 15:14

beyond right now remix is that shiz