Podcast 144: Pictureplane—Fusion of the Masculine and Feminine Energy Mix

Pictureplane (a.k.a. Travis Egedy) isn't exactly easy to pin down. The Denver-based artist has been lumped in with the chillwave crowd, even though his debut latest album, Dark Rift, often sounded more like a rough-around-the-edges take on '80s dance pop, early '90s rave, and modern UK bass music. On this Fusion of the Masculine and Feminine Energy mix, Egedy mines familiar territory, although he manages to expand his reach to also include gabber techno, digital hardcore, hip-hop, and fuzzed-out R&B. Combining dancefloor nostalgia with a DIY punk ethos, not to mention an affinity for distorted synths, Egedy has created more of a mixtape than a 'proper' DJ mix, which might lead some to scoff at the lack of technical prowess on display here. But as far as we're concerned, when it comes to Pictureplane, precision is beside the point. His new EP, True Ruin Light Body, drops later this month.

01 House Hallucinates "Prisoners of XTC" (Hype)
02 Underworld "Scribble"
03 Black Box "Ride on Time" (Groove Groove Melody)
04 Atari Teenage Riot "Activate" (Digital Hardcore)
05 Lancinhouse and the Stunned Guys "We Are the Dynacore" (Very Hard Unresistable)
06 U96 (a.k.a. V69) "I Wanna Be a Kennedy" (Carinco Neue Medien Ag)
07 Nika and Rory "The Choice"
08 Love Fine "Temperature Rising" (Laton)
09 Gucci Mane feat. Lil B "Break Yourself (Diplo Remix)" (Mad Decent)
10 Matt Shadetek "Funny Cats" (Dutty Artz)
11 Modern Witch "Your Life a Movie" (Disaro)
12 Tearist "Lo-V"
13 Alicia Keys "Unthinkable (Physical Therapy Real Heavy Vibe)"

85 comments Pictureplane—Fusion of the Masculine and Feminine Energy Mix

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 09:32

omg you guys, Dark Rift IS NOT his first album. why don't any of you internet kids at least google your facts first? http://www.mediafire.com/?0znztnmndkw

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 09:34

wow. new underworld on that mix. yuk.

Gustavo (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 10:00

In this day and age, with tools like Ableton Live and Traktor - that itunes random playlist of a mix is inexcusable.

pictureplane (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 10:05

actually dark rift is my 6th album. that link is to turquoise trail, the album before dark rift. that underworld track rules! and i dont have fucking 600 or however much it costs to drop on abelton. i dont even have itunes. i use a very old computer, with a very old computer program that isnt able to mix.

Raverpants (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 10:08

Homeboy needs Queer eye for the Queer guy. If you're gona have this public image of being totally androgynous, could you be more like David Bowie, Green Velvet, DJ Rush, etc and not total shit?

alphabets (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 10:15

yo raverpants denver rolls raw, david bow and arrow with the pit hairs, fuck it. yaw be h8rz on travvvyy he'll fucking rule you on magic the gathering. likes some wierd crunk as bunk house music so what.

bedroom dancer (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 10:44

this mix is just what i needed! love the last 3 tracks especially. thank you pictureplane!

legalize gay weed (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 11:15

Yes. OLD COMPUTERS TO MAKE MIXES.

stadiumsandshrines (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 11:19

this mix is magic.

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 14:00

lol "internet kids". Love this mix.

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 14:45

pictureplane is so next level. people dont understand this kid yet.

PhillyT (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 16:23

Cheers for the mix, but if I personally had the chance to showcase music on XLR8R I would probably put more effort into compiling a consistent mix of songs which can form a coherant progression. A lot of these songs could have easily been mixed together without complex software, just shift the pitch, as any DJ would do.
Nice songs, but considering their potential together, I'd say they were presented lazily.

Ethan C (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 17:11

You don't need ableton or traktor. The gear doesn't make the musician. When I saw him open for HEALTH in mpls last fall he played the beats through an ipod, synths through a microkorg, and a 404 (if i recall correctly). You know what? It was great. Keep doing what you're doing Travis.

pictureplane (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 17:52

shifting the pitch of songs to match a bpm is the most annoying thing ever

Isaac Linder (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 22:17

i don't think pictureplane ever claimed to be a 'proper dj'. what i would scoff at are the assumptions of normativity and (as the commenter pictureplane hinted at) economic privilege embedded within that idea. genre is obsolete. coherence is regressive. the craft of the proper, highly practiced and refined dj is definitely laudable but at the end of the day I commend XLR8R for attempting to take a risk with their curation.

midi rot (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 06/15/2010 - 23:11

all yall troll ass interweb nerd turds needta rewind yore mindset and feel some fun in ur lifestyles, insteada making photoshops of david bowie smoking a bowl of titss.

PhillyT (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 05:14

I dunno mate, to say that coherence is regressive is excusing the inability to work with it unless you're doing something that actually works on a non-coherent level, serialism is a prime example of this. To abolish the norms of genre and coherence for this artist doesn't really make sense when what he's playing is actually very easily classifiable and comprises and relies on basic musical forms, you can't just give people an 'experimental' clause because they can't perform some basic, standard functions within their style of music.

It's kinda like giving a four year old a guitar and saying that the noise they make is avant garde, isn't it?

Jdawg (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 07:44

I hate to hate on a hometown fav esp. since i dig his production but this mix is no bueno. selects are um OK, mixing is horrible. "shifting the pitch of songs to match a bpm is the most annoying thing ever" - its the most annoying thing ever to hear train wrecks and lazy blends... c'mon!...yes use ableton next time pls.

anon (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 11:47

He's a semi fashonable shit dj. Very unoriginal. I am more pissed about the bands that get paid shit tons of money to "dj". If u wanna blame someone, blame the fans, blame the promoters who support this garbage.

lol (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 11:50

Ironic tracklist makes me puke

James Jano Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 11:52

lolzer beams firing every which way!

Isaac Linder (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 12:12

PhillyT: i'm very happy to actually be engaged in such a weird space like a blogpost comments thread! i was definitely veering from the topic at hand (this mix) in my response, given that I hadn't even finished listening to it - responding more to the tenor of this idea about the type of product that xlr8r is soliciting and the assumptions implicit in it's mission. what exactly is it that xlr8r is asking for when they ask someone to make a podcast? nice songs? a showcasing of technical prowess? does this depend on who's listening? the question of professionalism that you raised in your first post (and which I immediately am wont to agree with) is definitely something I'm still thinking through, though I'm not sure that the "if I had the chance to do this" criteria is necessarily productive to apply. (what does a podcast mean in relation to a career?) This is what he submitted and, if we can believe xlr8r that a large part of pictureplane's background involves a 'DIY punk ethos', then why not? Within the scope of this influence wouldn't it belie a certain aesthetic to present something that didn't feel like a trainwreck? Like Bootsy Collins said: 'if you fake the funk your nose will grow'. The form that he seems to be replicating here is one of a mixtape- like one you may have given to a crush in the early 90's- concerned much less with continuity than with the conjuring of a certain affect of (refreshing? annoying?) amateurism; carefree (careless?) fun. when i listen to this mix after something like the Kyle Hall or MJ Cole podcast there is a sense of cognitive dissonance, "how the fuck did this end up here?" and that response is what I was pointing to when I said that coherence is regressive. regressive was obviously too strong of a word choice- i think "too often utterly boring" is more along the lines of what I was thinking.

cheers!

Isaac Linder (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 13:14

pop music sucks anyway, lol!

pictureplane (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 13:28

i am not a techno dj dudes! i am not making shit tons of money to "dj". i am a performer. big difference. and there is no "irony" in my tracklist. this is a collection of songs i enjoy, by artists i am interested in and influenced by. does something have to all sound the same and be one single tempo to have "coherence?" listen closer.

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 13:29

i thought punks and techno nerds were friends now anyways.

pictureplane (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 13:32

for the sake of the argument, i will admit i could have "blended" the songs better. this wasnt meant to make people angry. just the opposite actually.

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 13:37

White Spectral Mirror (That's what you are!!)

Your power poem:
I dissolve in order to reflect
Releasing order
I seal the matrix of endlessness
With the spectral tone of liberation
I am guided by my own power doubled

PhillyT (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 13:47

Yeah fair play Isaac I get what you're saying. But going back to "if I had the chance to do this", it's clear that XLR8R has a very loud voice in whatever music scene it wishes to promote, and for an artist such as Pictureplane (and as with many others) who can credit the majority of their fans to the internet, it would make sense to showcase your talent as much as possible if you were given this kind of opportunity. Sure, Pictureplane may not need this opportunity, but for all those such as myself who have an interest in Pictureplane and need more winning over to classify theselves as fans, I now have much lower views of him.

Pictureplane aint huge, he's small time and forgettable compared to the likes of other artists XLR8R have featured. I think it's great that they're pushing him, but I feel slightly insulted that this is the best he could come up, and it makes me think; if he could do better, then why didn't he? Sure, it might be a mixtape style mix, but is that really appropriate to show a huge amount of people who's standards have been pushed to the highest points? I see the DIY punk ethos and the nonchalant vibe (which he can translate convincingly onto his own records), but tbh, this is sheerly amateur. Once again; "Like Bootsy Collins said: 'if you fake the funk your nose will grow'".

PhillyT (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 13:52

Pictureplane: I do appreciate what you've made for everyone, your heart is clearly in the right place, I just don't think that the mix is. I believe that different arenas call for different strategies and I don't think the right one was chosen in this case.
Sorry to be overly critical, but hey, at least it's constructive man.

GOTHIC CHOLO (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 14:05

FuckING amazing DJ MIX. tHEY ALREADY BUGgED OUT AND NOW THEY MUSt shut the front door and DoNCE. gET OFF THE COMPUTER! TREND SETTER RIGHT HERE...

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 14:43

maybe when you shit talkers who think you could do better have your own fucking website you can broadcast yourselves alright.

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 15:04

^^^^
Yes mate, because your internet status clearly entitles you to more of an opinion.

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 15:05

^^^^

AnonymoussuomynonA (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 15:10

wau! punk indeed, next level indeed, trendsetter indeed, transsexual indeed, freshness & kinda mind expanding cause sO random & out of the norm, and all that without irony ?! hahaha… still wonder if it would work @party or totally suck though

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 15:34

first?

superstar dj gobi (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 16:44

hay haters this is punk rock djing.

I way better than that elevator music house dj sh#t that's out there these days
rave to the grave bitches!

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 17:36

No need to explain, admit, or even critique yourself here Travis. The "haters" have the right to whine or criticize... The likers and lovers will be dancing in the mean time.

Gustavo (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 18:00

I actually took the time to dig up a couple of your original tracks to give them a fair listen - and you know? They're not bad. There's a lot to like there - but there's also a lot that can get better. Hiding behind the faux nonchalance of "punk" and "diy" seems disingenuous at best considering there's 14yr old kids creating amazing music out there with little training or experience.

To Isaac: your misguided and laughable rant about "economic privilege" has never been so inappropriate. Music technology is about as democratic as it gets - you can buy a 5yr old computer and get some free or trial software for less money than you'd pay for a guitar - and have the tools to rival professional studio productions of 15-20 yrs ago. There's plenty of examples of people who are "DIY" and applying the "punk" ethos to music (I happen to be one, since I'm 100% DIY and have built a successful label from the ground up) and hiding behind labels such as those (also "experimental") speaks more of amateurish insecurity and laziness.

Pictureplane - please don't take this as a rip on you as a person. I see a lot of creativity and potential in what you're doing - just keep in mind when you expand your audience beyond your friends, to people that you don't have an emotional connection with - you are competing with many other artists out there who ARE carefully building mixes, and crafting top-notch productions. Learn from this and push yourself to better your craft, and put your heart into it. It's not about being a "pro dj" or anything like that - its about giving a damn, and trying HARD to do the best you can with anything you put out into the world.

There's a huge difference between the energy of a live show, or a fun party at someone's house - there's a connection you can make there that makes people not so critical of mistakes and lack of polish - but when ALL you have to represent yourself is a mix, its an opportunity to showcase your talent, and gain new fans.

I may write and release "elevator house music dj shit" but I can say I put 100% of my heart and soul into everything I do. From my live shows, to my mixes, I spend a lot of time crafting them to be the best. To my fans and the other "shit house djs" that buy my releases - it makes a difference.

The genre doesn't matter - but having soul and integrity does.

I wish you the best in your music.

Gustavo
www.nudephotomusic.com

mstrXRAY (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 18:31

GOOD JOB PP!!! if this is the worst mix you've heard lateley...your taste is lame...seems like alot of cats on here have a technical knowledge but are lacking the "spirit of music".it's not what equipment or software you have;it's what you do with it and where it comes from that makes it art.he got up you didn't... go for yours.xlr8r are obviously trying to showcase a wide range of viewpoints here, it's like a spectrum and this shit is in the black zone :)

pictureplane (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 18:45

thanks gustavo! i always knew my music was missing something, next time i will remember to put soul AND integrity into my work!!

david (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 19:08

if your style/sound is what this mix came out as, you shouldn't worry about what these few critical minds have to say about it. xlr8r may be a blog that hosts top, technical, trendy house djs but they may also like the others - punk, their-own-flow-and-style musicians

Tony (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 19:50

I feel like there is plenty of flow to this mix. It can get choppy at times, but that is a stupid reason to bitch about the mix. If you want to bitch about a DJ, bitch about Pauly D.

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 20:08

I would like to anonymously say on the internet that I did not enjoy this mix of music.

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 20:18

This mix is aggressive and raw. STFU and jam interweb neo-bots.

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 20:38

this kid is fucking sick live. totally underrated.

Brent (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 21:03

It's funny how several people said you should have done it in Ableton, like pitchshifted and time-stretched or whatever. But you know what that sounds like? Exactly what it is, it sounds like you just did what everyone else does in Ableton. What's the point? I love that program, and like a lot of similar programs, it can do some cool stuff. But it's what everyone does now, and so it makes everyone's mixes just sound the same. How boring. Anymore I'd almost just prefer the mixtape style individual songs you have here. This snobby "I know every shortcut in Ableton" technical DJ culture that these programs have propagated is lame.

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 22:46

This is the wackest shit I heard. Weeeeeeeakkk!!!

Bearmous (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 22:47

when did bad mixing or no mixing become an art? this is lazy ass crap. fail. and sayin is cool just means your too dumb to know the diff.

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 22:57

speak your truth, girl

Wed, 06/16/2010 - 23:22

the wackness here is that xlr8r bothered to put this up. no lack of good artists out there and this aint one.

Lambo Diablo (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 00:55

Yes to grimy mix-tapes and PPLN. No to pretentious, bitter nerds who don't get it and think that the goal of human expression must always be perfection.
Humans are dirty, and we only gettin' dirtier so we might as well revel in it before the computers infect our brains and don't give us a choice of whether or not 2 B perfect. I'm glad their is a new crop of young U.S. musicians who understand this and don't give a fuck about y'all XLR8R H8TRS. peace.

Philly (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 02:55

What's all this shit about 'trendsetting'? cheaply produced 90's dance music and noise influenced electronics? Are you trying to tell me that PP is STARTING this? Sheer ignorance, bringing back the past is nothing special, we might as well all revel in some Calvin Harris or some shit if that's the case.

Philly (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 02:58

And in what way is this punk? What's with these stupid irrelevant labels people are using. Just cause it's rough and noisy doesn't mean it has a 'DIY punk ethos'. A well constructed and technically capable mix can have a 'DIY punk ethos', can someone tell me where this crap is coming from?

Anonymous Jake (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 05:04

Music is about expression and difference.

Instead of arguing about tastes through language, why don't people post mixtapes which they think best articulate their arguments and criticisms.

idratherbeinvail on the gmale (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 05:55

Let's all argue some more!

Pictureplane - your Old Dreamer remix of Future Island's Little Dreamer + Old Friend is sooooooooo siiiiiiiiiick! I listen to it daily. Listening to Machinedrum's mixtape now, yours is queued up next, and I'm sure I will enjoy it immensely for what it is, rather than what I think it should be.

KEEP IT UP! And thank god some good tunes I can get into are coming out of Denver! Go play in my hometown, CO Springs, and turn them on to the good stuff :)

Isaac Linder (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 07:28

Just for the record, Gustavo, in India, about 2 tenths of 1% of the population has a telephone line.

Eduardo Caudillo (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 08:32

Come on guys, there's always people telling other people which is the correct way to do things, if everybody listened to them, there would be nothing new.

Every time there's a change, it's because somebody decided to do things the other way, it's always been like this, and it's always difficult to understand at the beggining, but then it becomes the trend.

I don't expect you all to agree with me, but Pictureplane is the new thing, he's been already changing the underground scene, (have you ever heard about witch house? well, you can thank him) and time will put things in place.

Travis is not trying to show a good mixing, he's trying to show the new trend.

Cool mix!!!

PhillyT (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 08:50

But do you not think that people get away with too much because it's apparently trendy? I think standards need to be set at some point.

joe (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 09:13

I quite like it... keep up the good work, bro... can't wait for your Split with Tearist & Becoming Real :D :D

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 09:15

i didn't even listen to it because i don't care

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 09:15

i didn't even listen to it because i don't care

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 09:20

Dj Chlamydia aka Picturepenis needs to learn how to mix. That shit suuuuuucks! And all his whiny little bitches suck too!

Ballsmaster Joe (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 10:02

You can get free software that can allow overlapping and beatmatching and all that (mixxx.org for realtime, audacity if you plan on doing it like a laid out file thing with more precision).

Stop making technical excuses for artistic choices (or possibly laziness or the inability to learn a simple parlor trick like beatmatching or at least a smooth radio DJ style mix). It's a sad copout any way you slice it.

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 11:31

even your daddys school disco dj can crossfade a track in time, why the fuck can't YOU? If it's meant to be a statement then it's a shoddy one. And you call it punk, bwahaha, now they know how to make REAL statements.

D-CEL-R-8-R (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 11:42

It pains me to say it (well, not really), but this is the worst xlr8r podcast I've heard. But.....all is forgiven as everything else you do is top-notch. No biggie. It is free after all people.

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 11:46

Justice's rejected fabric mix was not pitch/tempo changed but they made the mix with so much better flow and style...but this mix has its own 'real' 'raw' feel though.

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 12:04

I didn't listen to it because of the unbelievably douchey PR photo.

Your father (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 12:58

Dear XLR8R,

I am disappointed.

Love,

Dad

Nero Corelone (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 13:24

Eduardo Caudillo,

Being a bad dj/selector is not a new trend. It's been around for years. Ever heard of "a shitty mix"? Well I will thank him for that.

Putting Some Captain In Ya (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 13:57

To Isaac -
I don't care about 2 tenths of 1% having a phone line. It doesn't make an excuse for the few that do have a phone to not be able to use them. What you're saying is poor people can't tune their guitars or something? Stop making excuses for shitty mixes. A mix is a combination of selection and actual technical mixing. Here, I don't really see much of a theme from a selection standpoint, and the mixing is throwaway.

Are we so sick of boring djs playing tunes that all sound the same but mix smoothly that we're backlashing into poo flinging anti-technique? Fine, let's have that discussion but I don't see this mix as a good example of a positive alternative.

Philip (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 06/17/2010 - 19:11

I've heard quite a few mixtapes recently. Every single one captured the homebrew vibe of original mixtapes, without the selections and transitions disrupting the said vibe. They are far from virtuoso, but are still brilliant mixes. Anyone listen to the Brainfeeder 4/20 show? It jumped from IDM to balkan beats into old school hip hop without any bells or whistles on the decks. That my friends, is how to 'fuck mixing and just dance', whacking songs on at seemingly random intervals with no care for transition whatsoever, is not. No matter how 'punk' you claim it to be.

END OF.

Fri, 06/18/2010 - 06:39

This is worse than hot garbage in back of a Chinese takeout joint. Zero mixing ability is displayed here. The technical prowess of a 9yr old rocking a casio dual tape deck tops this compilation.

Fri, 06/18/2010 - 12:58

this one time I was watching these kids.
6-8 year old range.
to give them something to do I let them play with my turntables.
One kid was on one record player and another on the other.
The little girl got the mixer,
they scrached the records back and forth lifted the needle up and dropped it, moved the pitch control up and down. All the time the little girl turned the volume all the way up then down and flicked the cross faders around.

well

they mixed better than this

superstar dj gobi (not verified) Wrote

Fri, 06/18/2010 - 13:17

If your such an expert dj why not post one of your mixes and blow us away with your talent

there is one of mine btw
its okish

bryant (not verified) Wrote

Sun, 06/20/2010 - 02:59

i still haven't listened to this mix but am really enjoying the conversation.

dude looks like he is on drugs though

DJ BOSS (not verified) Wrote

Mon, 06/21/2010 - 09:23

He is the BOSS--DJ BOSS with BALLS OF SSTEEL! Feel the heat! He doesn't need to mix. He doesn't care about your silly beatmatching. He throws the record down, and if you don't like it bitches, then shut the fuck up because YOU CAN'T SING! The techno world hasn't blown a load in its pants this hard since DJ KEOKI!

Whose the BOSS NOW Bitches?
DJ BOSS thats who.

Same guy here as DJ Boss (not verified) Wrote

Mon, 06/21/2010 - 09:32

My girlfriend just made me turn the mix off so she could listen to the prodigy instead.

DJ BOSS (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 06/23/2010 - 18:46

After being fired from my position as 'the boss' due to my overwhelming statements of douchbaggery, I would now like to introduce my new persona; "DJ 90's-Slang-Makes-My-Arse-Gape".

Constant Pictureplane collabs on the way folks.

Fri, 06/25/2010 - 09:37

fatima al-qadiri wannabe. from the get up to the music selection. dude is unoriginal and a hack.

Fri, 06/25/2010 - 12:15

you all are crazy. go outside and take a breath of fresh air. you dont know shit about shit. the real unoriginals and hacks are the ones hating on a kid for being himself.

Fri, 06/25/2010 - 17:51

Well from the tired and cliche'd faux nonchalance, ironically tiresome selection, and "i live in a warehouse with bathing optional people and we're freegan" wardrobe... I'll pass. Anyone attributing creativity to this cretin is deserving of his company.

aprilface81 (not verified) Wrote

Fri, 07/02/2010 - 08:29

multiple personalities who like to train wreck. the tracks on their own aren't bad...the overall compilation is. D+ (b/c i curve)

soulmantra (not verified) Wrote

Mon, 07/05/2010 - 09:53

he must be doing something right to get such full on positive and negative opinions going.
somebody is either gonna be into it... or they are not.
has nothing to do with ableton.
coherence is much more than beat matching songs that sound the same.
what is coherent to me might not be to you.
i feel a strong need to defend pictureplane even though i've never heard of him before this mix.
but the logic of the haters and of picture plane himself is so flawed in my mind.
if you hate ableton beat match mixing... don't do it!
put something out and work hard to make it the best you can and if you're proud of it... stand behind it.
no excuses. no compromises.
i've heard enough podcasts on here that sound like it's one song for an hour and this one at least touches some different areas.
music is always subjective and anybody who claims otherwise has a tough job as the first person ever to prove that theory.
the comments (mostly negative) influence my impression of this mix because they made it sound like two turds having a kickboxing match in the dryer... but i thought it was pretty much 1000% better than that.
some of the "best" DJs i've heard have more of a mixtape mentality and some of them are real "pro DJ" types that layer the F out of their tracks.
some of us DJ because we like music and like sharing it and don't give a flying F what johnny internets thinks about the music we have collected and shared.

Cheesewizard (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 07/15/2010 - 07:32

Soulmantra wrote:
"really good job on the percussion / beats. lots of the tracks had drum bits i was real into and that brought some coherence for me."

Uh... what did Pictureplane have to do with the beats in this mix AT ALL? Nothing. He picked the tracks, and haphazardly segued them into each other. It's not that "he should have done it in Ableton" or "he needs better tools" - he needs to give enough of a fuck about his audience to put a minimal amount of effort into a mix for public consumption. He may not be "a dj", but he's putting himself out to be judged by this mix... and the verdict is in... Pictureplane, not so much.

And some of us like music and like sharing it AND give a fuck enough to present it in a cohesive, deliberate way, not a random iTunes playlist of a mix. Even back in the days of cassette mixes and pause edits, a lot more love went into those mixes than this crap. If you compare this to a mixtape - it means you have no clue what a mixtape was.

badman ghede (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 08/19/2010 - 21:30

all the humans who are hating on this mix have no soul, and I hope I never have to interact with you IRL