Podcast 176: Oro11
- Words: Patric Fallon
There are a handful of ways by which you may know of DJ/producer Oro11 (a.k.a. Gavin Burnett). Whether as co-owner—with XLR8R's Managing Editor, Shawn Reynaldo—of the equatorially inclined Bersa Discos label (a featured imprint in our last Labels We Love issue), head of the LA division of the Tormenta Tropical party (which is celebrating its third birthday in San Francisco this Saturday), or one half of the burgeoning Banana Clipz outfit (the other half being NY-via-Bay Area artist Chief Boima), Burnett's love for the sun-soaked genres of cumbia, reggaeton, tribal guarachero, and other global sounds remains at the core of his work—this exclusive mix he's just assembled for the XLR8R podcast series included. His DJ set may seem obscure, even to those well versed in the sounds of tropic zones (hell, one track is just labeled "Zacatecas Mix de La Calle" because it's from a CD he bought from a street vendor in Zacatecas, Mexico), but recognizable names like Nadastrom, Diplo, and Oro's own Banana Clipz—fresh off the release of the project's free debut EP—does give his vibrant mix a slightly more familiar flavor. Though as a DJ who played the first-ever ZZK party and a producer who honed his chops by combining cumbia with hip-hop, dancehall, and other electronic sounds while living in Buenos Aires, Oro11 is an artist who obviously knows his way around bumping basslines and international dancefloor rhythms. So who better to give us a taste of unheard, culturally rich soundsytem gems we'd likely not hear otherwise? Maybe we all ought to be taking notes.
01 DJ Negro "Sabor A Gaita" (Bersa Discos)
02 DJ Panik "Pillz (Remix)"
03 Unknown "Zacatecas Mix de La Calle"
04 Cosculluela "Perreo Pa Las Gatas"
05 Rudeboy feat. El Ivis "El Passa Passa del Marciano"
06 El Nosotros "Mar, Sexo y Sol" (Bersa Discos)
07 Proxy "8000 (Diplo Remix)" (Planet Turbo)
08 Nadastrom feat. Oro11 "Trompaton" (T&A)
09 Joyce Muniz & Shanti Roots "Cumbia Lolita" (Sol Selectas)
10 Victor Magan & Jason Tregebov "Jandinha (Juan Magan & Marcos Rodriguez Remix)"
11 DJMouse & Manuel Palafox "The Sixteen's Guitar (DJExperiens Reconstrucción Tribal)"
12 El Negro 5 Estrellas "Plomo"
13 DJ Pesado "Hino Delo Pesado"
14 Banana Clipz "Push Am" (Bersa Discos)
15 DJ Paul "Acordeon y Arpa Huajuapeos (Original Mix)"
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player