Podcast 211: Magda
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Top-notch DJs and producers are often known for their globe-trotting ways, but Magda takes it to another level. Born in Poland, she came of age in Detroit and was eventually adopted by Richie Hawtin and the rest of the Minus Records crew. Now living in Berlin, she's been in the news as of late after the (somewhat surprising) announcement that she was leaving Minus after more than a decade and instead focusing on Items & Things, a label she runs with Marc Houle and Troy Pierce. Although the split was amicable, it does represent the start of an important new chapter in the techno veteran's career, so we figured that now would be a good time for her to put together an exclusive mix for the XLR8R podcast series. True to form, Magda has delivered a deep, complex mix that often features three our four tracks playing at once while she combines techno—of both the pulsing Detroit and minimal variety—with bits of house, disco, and a few other surprises. Magda's future may be wide open, but there is little doubt that her DJ abilities are still on-point.
01 Marc Houle "Just Woke Up"
02 Death on the Balcony "Give Me That Stuff"
03 The Horrorist "Hostage (Miro Pajic Remix)" (Things To Come)
04 PhonoKemi "Exterminators" (Highgrade)
05 Don Blackman "You Ain't Hip" (GRP)
06 Marc Houle "Slowpe"
07 M.A.N.D.E.A.R. "Buddies (Radio Slave's Panorama Garage Remix)" (Get Physical)
08 Santorini feat. Frank Carla "I Feel This" (Outer)
09 Borderline "Stay" (Turbo)
10 Pigon "Flip Over Pill" (Dial)
11 Sex Judas feat. Ricky "Everything Changes" (Marketing)
12 Magda & Suade "Fixation" (Items & Things)
13 Danny Benedettini "Rocker"
14 Red Rack'em "Late One" (Bergerac)
15 Capablanca & T. Keeler "La Konk Fiesta" (Gomma)
16 Ilija Rudman "Congo Diamond" (Bear Funk)
17 Clouded Vision "Room 101 (Darabi Remix)" (Meant)
18 Stevie Wonder "Do I Do" (Tamla)
19 Rudy's Midnight Machine "East Side Good Living" (Retrofit)
20 Borderline "Never Know" (Turbo)
21 Jamie Principle "Drive Me (Magda Edit)" (Atlantic)
22 Danny Benedettini "Moi Moi"
23 Francis Inferno Orchestra "I Need It (Fantastic Man's Electric Boogaloo Remix)" (Join the Dots)
24 Laufmasche "Verstrahlte 122" (Snork Enterprises)
25 Julian Sanza "Funky Steamroller" (Silhouette)
26 Austra "Beat and the Pulse" (Domino)
27 Tomas More "A+B" (Items & Things)
28 Mario Basanov feat. Miss Bee "Just Think About (Art of Tones Disco Mix)" (Under the Shade)
29 Matias Aguayo "Dance Machine" (Kompakt)
30 Marc Houle "Juno 6660"
31 BMG & Sal P "Credit Card" (Interdimensional Transmissions)
- NewsCheck Out a Playlist of the Top 100 Paradise Garage Tracks
- NewsStream a New Modeselektor Track from the Forthcoming 'Bleep:10' Compilation
- NewsCheck Out an 18-Mintue Remix from Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer
- GearWatch Addison Groove Give an Extensive Tour of His Studio
- NewsTOBACCO Shares New "Extremely NSFW" Video
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player