Podcast 210: xxxy
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
While XLR8R makes an effort to cover sounds from across the musical spectrum, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that we have a soft spot for UK bass music. It doesn't help matters that seemingly every week or two, another producer pops up with their own unique permutation of the increasingly nebulous sound. Take Manchester producer xxxy (a.k.a. Rupert Taylor)—who actually moved to London about a month ago—an artist whose relatively short discography sounds fresh and modern while also referencing a myriad of classic sounds: house, techno, 2-step, garage, and even old-school videogames. He's been a busy man in the past few years, dropping records on labels like Fortified Audio and Ten Thousand Yen and remixing artists such as How to Dress Well, The Count and Sinden, Voltron, and Alpines. Just last month, he released the "Open Your Eyes" b/w "You Gotta Do You" single via the Orca imprint, August 22 will see a new split 12" on the Infrasonics label, and in early September his remix of Ghostpoet's "Liiines" will hit the streets. Beyond that, a 12" for All-City and an EP for Well Rounded are also in the works. With such a busy production schedule, it's amazing that xxxy found the time to assemble this exclusive mix for the XLR8R podcast series. Far from being just another collection of the latest trendy tunes, Taylor has put together an eclectic session that surveys vintage house, techno, and electro sounds while also splicing in plenty of unreleased gems and, yes, some fashionable cuts from a few of his UK counterparts.
01 Extrawelt "Titelheld (Dexter Remix)" (Cocoon)
02 Konrad Black "Medua Smile/Don't Look Back" (Wagon Repair)
03 2AMFM "Desolate Cities" (M>O>S)
04 Jacques Greene "Sorted"
05 Presk "Devour" (Ten Thousand Yen)
06 West Norwood Cassette Library "Get Lifted (Karenn Remix)" (West Norwood Cassette Library)
07 Midland "Tracker"
08 Teengirl Fantasy "Cheaters" (Hivern)
09 Virgo "In a Vision" (Rush Hour)
10 Actress "Maze" (Honest Jon's)
11 Photek "Mine to Give" (Science)
12 Deadboy "Heartbreaker (Julio Bashmore 2010 Remix)" (Well Rounded)
13 Coni "Luz in Pool" (Clek Clek Boom)
14 Eats Everything "Entrance Song" (Pets)
15 Doc Daneeka "Babylon's Burning"
16 Hashim "Al Naafiysh (The Soul)" (Streetwave)
17 Bobby Dozen "Mill Riddim"
18 Jon Convex "Falling Again" (3024)
19 Spectr "Dance 4 Me" (Roska Kicks and Snares)
20 Unknown "Fuck Yonkers" (white)
21 Benjamin Damage "Doesn't Even Matter Now"
22 xxxy "Kerpow" (All-City)
23 Pangea "Won't Hurt" (Hessle Audio)
24 Lung & Maxx Roach "Booty Call (Randomer Remix)" (Deadplate)
25 xxxy "Everything" (Well Rounded)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player