Podcast 313: Daedelus
Los Angeles' crowded beat scene has a rich cast of characters, yet few of them can match the resume of Daedelus. For more than a decade, the leftfield beatmaker has been turning heads, both with his wild musical notions and his propensity for dressing like a Victorian dandy. Though his sound has morphed and evolved over the years—Daedelus has never been shy about experimenting with new genres or rhythmic ideas—the veteran has remained relevant, and is frequently cited as an influential pioneer by up-and-coming artists, many of who likely consumed his work online or perhaps caught one of his numerous appearances at Low End Theory. XLR8R has certainly been tracking Daedelus' movements for a long time, yet amazingly, he had never been enlisted to put together a mix for our podcast series. But with a new album, Drown Out, dropping today via Anticon, we figured that now would be the perfect time to rectify that situation. The podcast, which Daedelus has entitled I Am an XLR8R, finds him as hyperactive as ever, as he quickly whips through bits of hip-hop, footwork, drum & bass, electronic pop, techno, jazz, and more. It's hectic, it's disorienting, and it all goes by in a blur, but somehow, it works. At this point, it's clear that a whole lot of musical knowledge is bouncing around inside Daedelus' head, and if this podcast is any indication, he seems intent on using it all.
01 LDFD "Snake"
02 Party Supplies "Beautiful Girl" (Fool's Gold)
03 Daedelus "Keep Still" (Anticon)
04 Wave Racer "Rock U Tonight" (Future Classic)
05 B. Bravo & Teeko "Drop It!" (Frite Nite)
06 Chapelier Fou "Protest (Dimlite re-ça va pas)" (Ici d'Ailleurs…)
07 Cashmere Cat "Mirror Maru (G.Vump Remix)" (Pelican Fly)
08 Bert on Beats "Dab (DJ Sliink Remix)" (Jeffree's)
09 Lone "Airglow Fires" (R&S)
10 Majical Cloudz "Impersonator" (Matador)
11 Santo & Johnny "Sleepwalk" (Canadian-American)
12 Daedelus "Frisson" (Anticon)
13 Sir Michael Rocks "Don't Forget (Daedelus' Pacific Juke)"
14 Kuhn "Never Forget" (Civil Music)
15 Ice Cube "Today Was a Good Day (Gypsy Mamba Jukefix)"
16 Swarvy "HighrGravity*" (Nonsensebeats)
17 Ta-ku "Electr(on)ic Relaxation"
18 Daedelus "Music Concrete" (Anticon)
19 Louis La Roche "Super Coaker" (Ever After)
20 Kemet Crew "The Box Re-Opens" (Kemet)
21 Penthouse Penthouse "In The Penthouse"
22 DJ Clap "Winners Never Quit"
23 Daedelus "Tiptoes" (Anticon)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player